Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Man Charged with Theft for Stealing Police Cruiser

By Kamika Dunlap on February 23, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Jacob Segura was looking for a lift so he went to his local police department to ask for a ride.

The 32-year-old man Nebraska man asked the Madison police if he could get a ride to Columbus.

According to the Norfolk Daily News, an officer informed Jacob Segura that it was against department policy and that the police could not provide rides.

While the officer tried to arrange a ride for the man through the Madison County and Platte County sheriff's offices, Segura went outside to smoke.

That's when police say Segura allegedly hopped into a cruiser and took off instead of waiting for the sheriff's office to arrive.

Unbeknownst to Segura, a department-issued 12-gauge shotgun was in working order inside the cruiser.

Eventually Segura was located and turned himself in to the U.S. Marshal Service. The vehicle was recovered, stuck in a snow bank.

Because a police shotgun was in the cruiser, Segura was charged with theft by unlawful taking or disposition and possession of a firearm by a felon.

In general, a felony firearm crime may involve unlawfully carrying a firearm when a felony crime was attempted or committed.

The laws governing the penalties for felony firearm crimes vary by state. In addition, the penalty enhancement for a felony firearm charge varies by state.

Typically, someone who commits a felony firearm offense will face two to five additional years of imprisonment and heavier punitive fines.

Also, anyone who has been convicted of a felony is banned by federal law from ever possessing to possess a firearm at any time.

Currently, Segura is in custody and being held on a $250,000 bail.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard