Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Guided Legal Forms & Services: Sign In

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Man Forced to do Michael Jackson's Moonwalk at Gunpoint

By Edward Tan, JD on May 03, 2012 6:58 AM

Who's bad? Apparently John Ernest Cross. He forced another man to "moonwalk" at gunpoint, the Bonner County Daily Bee reports.

Idaho sheriff's deputies arrived at Cross' home after receiving a report that the 30-year-old was on drugs. Cross was allegedly holding a rifle at a man while demanding him to do Michael Jackson's iconic dance move.

So what does one get for forcing someone to pay tribute to Jacko at gunpoint?

A pretty freaking serious felony charge, that's what. Cross was arrested for aggravated assault. His bail is currently set at $20,000.

Most states define aggravated assault as either assault with a deadly weapon or assaulting an officer. Idaho is no different. But when someone is accused of the former, for a conviction to stick, it has to be shown a deadly weapon was actually used.

Cross claims he was only holding a pellet gun at the victim. However, deputies accuse him of using an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle.

Quite the difference, but it's also one that might just reduce Cross' third degree felony charge to a misdemeanor. That'd be great news for him.

Under Idaho law, a misdemeanor conviction could net Cross a year imprisonment at the most. On the other hand, a felony conviction could land him up to 5 years.

It's also worth noting under Idaho law and the federal National Firearms Act, it's illegal to possess an unregistered gun. And under the Brady Act, ex-felons imprisoned for more than a year can't have one either.

While the investigation is still ongoing, one thing is for sure: Moonwalking at gunpoint ruins the fun of moonwalking.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard