Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Mass. Couple Wants 'Seamonster' to Be Their Middle Names

By Daniel Taylor, Esq. on July 30, 2014 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

A Massachusetts couple is petitioning the court to legally change their middle names -- which would be nothing out of the ordinary if their proposed new middle names weren't both "Seamonster."

Holyoke resident Melanie Convery describes herself and her husband Neal Coughlin as "pretty private" on Twitter. But they're the talk of the town, thanks to the required legal notice of their petition to change their names in the local paper, reports The Republican.

Can the couple really legally change their middle names to Seamonster?

Legally Changing Your Name

Under Massachusetts law, a change of name shall be granted "unless such change is inconsistent with public interests."

Prohibited reasons for changing one's name generally include:

  • Escaping liability for debts or crimes;
  • Aiding in the commission of a crime;
  • Attempting to mislead, such as by taking the name of a famous person; or
  • Choosing a name that is obscene or is a racial slur.

Although Seamonster may be a bizarre choice of name, it isn't likely to be considered to be inconsistent with any sort of public interest. Barring any as-yet-undisclosed factors, the request will likely be granted by the court.

How Do You Legally Change Your Name?

How can you go about changing your name? In many states, legally changing your name can be as easy as simply picking a new name and using it.

Even in states such as Massachusetts that require a petition, the process is usually as easy as filing the right forms and posting a notice, if required. Changing your name on your driver's license, Social Security card, or passport will also likely require some legal documentation of your name change.

Every state has its own rules on how to legally change your name to "Seamonster" or whatever you want to be called. If you or member of your family need help with a legal name change, a local family law attorney will know the law and procedure in your state.

Follow FindLaw for Consumers on Facebook and Twitter (@FindLawConsumer).

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard