Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

NC Man Violates Probation for Spot on The Jerry Springer Show

By Kamika Dunlap on February 26, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Maybe it was worth it to Richard Peterson.

His 15 minutes of fame on the Jerry Springer show cost him three days in jail.

The 30-year-old man was sentenced for violating his probation after he and his girlfriend got all-expenses-paid trip to appear on the show.

According to the Gaston Gazette his probation officer spotted him on the television program. He was sentenced for leaving the state to travel to Connecticut where the show is taped.

Video clips show Peterson boasting about one-night stand with a stripper. It also shows Peterson and his girlfriend fighting with the stripper and then the two women turning on each other.

His probation officer confirmed Peterson's appearance on the show by looking it up on the Jerry Springer show Web site.

Peterson told District Court Judge Anna Foster that he and his father are big fans of the show.

He told the judge he was embarrassed and the show made him look like "an idiot" especially because he has been working to get his life back on track.

His probation officer confirmed that Peterson has kept most of his appointments, passed drug tests and paid most of his payments.

In general, several penalties can be imposed depending on a probationer's violations. Sometimes additional conditions of probation can be imposed including the duration is extended, or that a period of incarceration is ordered.

As for Peterson's case, the judge said he should have used the $150 he got from the Jerry Springer show to pay his debt.

He was jailed and given a $161 fine.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard