Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Injuries on Orange County City Property: The Basics

Orange County is a vastly large metropolitan area with 34 different cities ranging from Anaheim (home of Mickey Mouse) to Huntington Beach (home to large waves and lots of sand). If you were injured anywhere on Orange County city property, you are likely wondering what rights you may have, if any. Rest assured, there may be remedies available to you.

The specific rules for suing any government entity in California are found in the "California Tort Claims Act."

Suing the city is just like suing a regular person, right?

Not even close. Suing a city in Orange County involves suing the government, which is not the same as suing a private company or individual. There are usually special procedures involved that you must follow or else your claim will get tossed out. Cities enjoy government immunity from certain kinds of liability. This means that they can't be sued unless you follow certain rules. Read on to learn more.

What is city property? Who should I sue if I'm injured?

Determining who is responsible for your accident is the first hurdle. The short answer is, anywhere maintained by the city is city property. Here are examples of a few places:

  • Public streets and sidewalks
  • City parking lots
  • Parks maintained by the city
  • Public playgrounds
  • City buildings
  • City buses

The city is responsible for maintaining public property safely and free of dangerous conditions. If a dangerous condition does arise, the city government is responsible to fix the problem as quickly as possible. If they don't they may be found liable for any injuries that result from it.

Dangerous conditions can include wet surfaces caused by rain, pressure cleaning or spilled liquids, inadequate lighting, uneven surfaces, cracked sidewalks, improper guardrails, hidden or unmarked potholes, unmarked construction site, or foreign objects left on the ground.

What types of injuries commonly happen on city property?

As you might imagine, people sue city governments for countless different reasons. There are several reasons you may want to file an injury-related claim or lawsuit against a city in Orange County. Negligence is the most common basis if you are physically injured. However, there are other grounds available. Common types of lawsuits against city governments include:

  • Slip and fall accidents due to poorly maintained sidewalks;
  • Injuries sustained due to poorly lit streets;
  • Construction accidents caused by poor regulation;
  • Injuries received due to the negligence of a government contractor; and
  • Car and bus accidents caused by a city employee.

What to Do First If I Am Injured

If you are injured, admit you are injured. This isn't the time to be macho or stoic. Excessive delay could torpedo any potential claim you may have. Here are some things to consider:

  • If you know you are injured, don't just brush yourself off and walk away;
  • See a doctor immediately and follow the doctor's orders;
  • Call the police and make sure and make sure they take an accident report;
  • Tell the property owner immediately;
  • Write down every detail of the accident and gather contact information from any eyewitnesses who may have been present;
  • Take photographs of the accident scene as soon as possible to document the condition that caused your accident;
  • Obtain a copy of the accident report;
  • Consider consulting an experienced attorney.

How do I start the process?

The most important thing to know about suing the government in California is that you have to file an informal claim against the city within 6 months of the accident before you can sue them in court. If you don't, you'll be barred (prevented) from bringing your lawsuit forever.

If you contact the city, they can provide you with the form that they use for personal injury claims. The forms are usually relatively easy to fill out. For instance, here is a link to the city of Anaheim's claim form. Every city has its own form, however.

You'll generally have to include the following information about your claim:

  • Your name and address;
  • Date, place, and circumstances of the incident;
  • A description of the injury or damages;
  • The identity, if known, of the public employee responsible;
  • The amount of the claim.

What happens once I file my claim?

Usually a city attorney or other official will review your claim and decide if they want to "accept" or reject it. The city must respond (allow or reject the claim, in whole or in part) within 45 days. It can take longer depending on the complexity. Don't be alarmed if the city rejects your claim. They usually do.

What if the city doesn't respond to my claim within 45 days?

If they don't respond at all, the claim is considered "rejected." At that point it's time to consider filing a lawsuit. It must be filed within two years of your injury in this scenario.

Suing After Your Claim Is Rejected

So, your claim against the city was rejected. No surprise here. As above, you can now proceed with your lawsuit. As we said, your case must be filed within six months of the date of the rejection of the claim, or you'll be barred.

Where do I file my lawsuit?

If you want to file a lawsuit in California, you should first ask how much money you are seeking in damages. If it's less than $7,500, you will generally sue the city in small claims court. In small claims court, an attorney can't represent you. The system is designed so that the parties can reach a final resolution of their matter very quickly. If you need legal advice for a small claims action, you may want to seek a free or low cost legal aid provider in Orange County. Here's an informative guide on small claims actions from the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

If the amount is over $7,500, it's more complicated. You'll be filing your lawsuit in the Orange County Superior Court. However, different types of actions have different rules associated with them. You should consider speaking to an attorney. It's best to avoid delay, as time is of the essence when making a claim against the government.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options