Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Free Legal Aid in Grand Rapids

Last updated: December 6, 2013

Do you need legal help but can’t afford to hire a private attorney? If so, you have come to the right place. We have compiled a list of providers in Kent County who may be able to assist you, including some resources to help you represent yourself.

Although some services are restricted to those within specific income brackets, others are open to anyone who needs help. So whether your issue is with housing, family law, employment or some other matter, hopefully one of these organizations can help.

  • Legal Aid of Western Michigan

    89 Ionia Avenue NW
    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 774-0672

    Note: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) provides legal advice and representation for low-income individuals (at or slightly above the federal poverty level) and seniors (age 60+) in civil non-fee-generating cases such as consumer, housing, family, and public benefits law. You may wish to check out their Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information. Although you may access their services by calling (616) 774-0672, you may also check out the online resources, such as the Legal Resource Library, or the Ask A Legal Question service in which (if you qualify for services) legal information and advice can be provided online.

  • Kent County Courthouse - Legal Assistance Center

    180 Ottawa Avenue NW
    Suite 5100

    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 632-6000

    Note: If you have a family, housing or consumer matter and are interested in handling it on your own, but need information and resources, you may want to check out the Legal Assistance Center (LAC). There are no income or other requirements and most of the help is free. In order to access the LAC you may either drop in Tuesdays through Fridays 8:30 am to 5 pm, call (616) 632-6000, or browse through the on-line resources including forms and informational handouts.

  • Kent County Renters Alliance

    671 Davis NW
    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49504

    Tel: (616) 245-2207

    Note: If you are a renter in Kent County and are having a housing related problem, Kent County Renters Alliance (KCRA) offers weekly free legal advice clinics for renters. You may also contact them by telephone about your rights and responsibilities. In addition, you may access KCRA brochures on issues such as repairs and maintenance, security deposits, evictions, and more on the website.

  • Fair Housing Center of West Michigan

    20 Hall Street SE
    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49507

    Tel: (616) 451-2980

    Note: If you believe you have been the victim of housing discrimination, the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan (FHCWM) may be able to assist you with reporting, mediation and resolution. Check here for more information regarding FHCWM’s advocacy and enforcement programs. If you have questions, you may call (616) 451-2980 or drop in Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm.

  • Kent County Office of the Defender

    146 Monroe Center Street NW
    Suite 920 McKay Tower

    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 774-8181

    Note: If you have been charged with a felony and cannot afford a private defense attorney, the Kent County Office of the Defender may be able to help you.

  • Grand Rapids Bar Association - Lawyer Referral & Information Service

    161 Ottawa Avenue
    NW Suite 203-B

    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 855-0273

    Note: The Lawyer Referral & Information Service (LRIS) arranges ½ hour consultations with participating lawyers for a $25 administrative fee. After ½ hour, the lawyer’s regular fee will apply. You may wish to refer to the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

  • Michigan Migrant Legal Assistance Project

    1104 Fuller Avenue NE
    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 454-5055

    Note: This organization participates in advocacy, education, and legal advice and representation for low-income farm workers and their families in areas such as employment, housing, education, public benefits, civil rights, etc.

  • Diocese of Grand Rapids Immigration Legal Services

    213 Sheldon Boulevard SE
    Grand Rapids,
    MI 49503

    Tel: (616) 551-4746

    Note: This group provides legal representation in immigration matters. In order to qualify for services, your household income must be below 200% of the poverty line.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options