Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Your Providence Car Accident: The Basics

Founded in the 17th Century, Providence is one of the oldest American cities. Like much of New England, it developed well before the invention of automobiles (and thus the narrow roads). Naturally, city founder Roger Williams did not envision a nice orderly grid of roadways to accommodate large SUVs. From time to time, you can expect a minor wreck near Kennedy Plaza. Don't be too alarmed. Rhode Island has a set of laws for handling car accidents, and the laws make sense. They're easy to follow and remember. Here are the basics.

See FindLaw's Car Accidents section for additional articles and resources.

First Steps After an Accident

Duty to Stop

State law requires drivers to stop after an accident resulting in either personal injury or damage to another's property. The best practice is to stop and check, since it may not be apparent whether there is an injury or property damage. If you were involved in a collision with another moving car, both cars should be moved so that they are not blocking traffic more than is necessary. Stay at the scene until you've exchanged information and police arrive. If anyone is insured in the crash, you must give "reasonable assistance."

Duty to Exchange Information

Immediately after an accident, a driver should provide his or her name, address, vehicle registration number, and insurance information. Give this information to any person struck by your vehicle—passenger, driver, or pedestrian.

Notify Your Local or State Police

If you fear that someone is injured or the cars pose a danger to others on the road, call 9-1-1. Otherwise, after the drivers have exchanged information, notify the nearest law enforcement station. In the City of Providence, you should notify the Providence Police Department at (401) 272-3121. Outside of the city proper, call the Rhode Island State Police Headquarters at (401) 444-1000.

Unattended Vehicles

If you strike an unattended vehicle, ether try to find the owner or provide the same information that you normally would in the form of a written note. Leave the note in or on the unattended vehicle so that the owner will find it. Again, notify state or local police immediately.

Best Practices

The following tips are not required by law, but are recommended by Providence-area accident attorneys:

  • Record or photograph other drivers' insurance information
  • Write down the names and contact information for any witnesses on the scene
  • Take pictures of the cars and the accident scene. If you do not have a camera, write down the details of the weather and road conditions. You should also write down anything that you feel might be significant (causes of the accident, any pain, drivers' statements, etc.)
  • Get Medical Attention. If you delay in seeking care, it may be more difficult to get compensated for your medical bills later. This is true whether you are dealing with your insurance company or the other driver's.


Follow Up

Uniform Crash Reports

Some residents will remember that the state used to require drivers to submit a State Crash Report. This policy has changed. Instead, drivers who were involved in a collision resulting in injury or property damage above $1,000 must file a "Uniform Crash Report" with the police at the time you report the accident.

Notify Your Insurance Provider

As a condition of the policy, you may be required to notify your insurance provider of any accidents shortly after the crash. See FindLaw for more information on Personal Injury Law in Providence.

Criminal Consequences After a Crash

When police arrive to the scene, they will determine if there is probable cause to arrest you for a criminal motor vehicle offense. This may be the case if police suspect that you were "driving so as to endanger," "driving under the influence," or engaged in other automobile-related crimes. In some cases police might request a chemical test to determine your blood alcohol concentration ("BAC"). If you are found guilty of a crime, the penalties will vary by offense and your prior offenses, and whether anyone suffered "physical injury," "serious bodily injury," or a fatality.

Civil Liability and Negligence

The State of Rhode Island generally only holds an individual civilly liable for auto crashes when he or she is at fault. Do not admit fault after an accident because that is a legal question best resolved by attorneys and a court of law.

The State will only allow civil damages to the extent that an injured person was not himself or herself negligent. This means that if you were injured, your potential damage award will be reduced by the amount of blame assigned to you.

Pursuing a Claim

If you were hurt in a crash, you can file a lawsuit to recover money for your injuries. In some cases, the other driver's insurance company may offer a settlement. If this is not true in your case, you may sue the other driver (and possibly others connected to the accident) in one of Providence County's courts. You may file in District Court for damages of $5,000 or less. Otherwise, you should file in the Superior Court. See FindLaw for more information on Providence Courthouses.

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get tailored legal advice and ask a lawyer questions about your accident. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options