Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Charleston Courthouses

Last updated: November 26, 2013

Charleston is the capital of West Virginia and the state’s judicial center. The West Virginia judicial system is notable for being one of 11 states to have a single appellate court, the Supreme Court of Appeals. However, if you have court business in Charleston, you probably won’t be headed to the Supreme Court of Appeals, but instead to the Kanawha County Judicial Building. This judicial center conveniently contains all of the lower courts that service the city of Charleston, from the magistrate courts to the circuit courts.

Check out this list of Charleston courthouse resources for information about the Kanawha County Judicial Building and other courthouses in Charleston, including court locations, contact information and links to official judicial websites.

State Courts in Charleston

  • West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals

    Capitol Complex
    Building One

    WV 25305

    Tel: (304) 558-2601

    Note: The West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals is West Virginia’s highest court. It hears appeals from the county circuit courts, as well as matters of constitutional law. The Clerk’s office is located in Building One, Room E-317.

Federal Courts

  • Robert C. Byrd United States Courthouse

    300 Virginia Street East
    WV 25301

    Tel: (304) 347-3000 (District Court) <br>Tel: (304) 347-3003 (Bankruptcy)

    Note: This U.S. Courthouse handles federal court issues for the Southern District of West Virginia in Charleston. The U.S. District Court is located in Suite 2400 and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court is in Room 3200.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options