Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Where Do I File My Taxes?

After you complete your tax return, the next step is to send it to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can do so by mailing it in the old fashioned way or the more popular method of filing it online. Below, you'll find more information about your filing options.

Filing Your Return Electronically

If you have access to the internet and an email address, you can file a tax return electronically using the IRS's "e-file" system. The IRS offers four ways to e-file your return:

  • If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is low enough (for example, in 2021, the limit was $72,000), you can use "Free File," the free tax preparation software from the IRS;
  • You can do the math yourself and simply fill in the forms from the IRS website;
  • You can use tax preparation software, follow the prompts, and press "send" once your forms are complete; or
  • You can hire an accountant or tax preparer to prepare your taxes and file them for you.

The IRS also allows you to pay your taxes electronically using its online system. If you are due a refund, you can specify whether you would like your refund deposited directly into your bank account or mailed to you by check.

E-filing has several benefits over filing by mail. For one, most tax preparation software will do the math for you and help you catch careless errors. Electronically filed tax returns also tend to be processed faster than paper returns, which means you'll get your refund faster if you're owed one.

Mailing Your Return

Alternatively, you could mail in your tax return. Before you do, it's worth double-checking your forms to make sure they're accurate and the calculations are correct. Paper filing may be more likely to include accounting errors or transcription mistakes. Be sure to include a check or indicate when you'll pay your taxes if necessary. Just like e-filing, you can choose to receive your refund by check or by direct deposit.

Finally, make sure you're sending your tax returns to the correct address. If an addressed envelope came with your tax forms package, you should use it to mail your return. If you don't have an addressed envelope, check the IRS's site for the specific addresses for each state and each type of tax return. There may be different addresses based on whether you are or are not enclosing a payment.

Legal Help With Tax Issues

For more information, see FindLaw's sections on Income Tax Basics or Paying your Taxes. If you have other questions about tax law issues, talk to an experienced attorney in your area for specific answers and advice.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified tax attorney to help you navigate your federal and/or state tax issues.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options