Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Tax Dispute: Attorney Intake Form


If you're facing an audit or other IRS action, you are probably very worried about how to deal with the problem. If you disagree with an IRS action, you may want to challenge the government, but that can be intimidating. To help put your mind at ease, you should find an attorney who has tax experience to help you though either process. You can help your tax attorney help you by completing this form, which provides basic information a lawyer needs in tax matters.




Spouse's name (if you file jointly):




Telephone numbers (home, work, cell, pager):


Social Security Number:


Spouse's SSN (if you file jointly):


Date of birth:


Employment status:


Annual salary (to help determine your tax liability):


Other sources of income:




Please provide copies of your tax returns from the last three years, plus returns, correspondence and documentation involved in your dispute.

Are you being audited? __Y/__N
If yes, please describe the basis for the audit (to the best of your knowledge):



Have you ever been audited in the past? __Y/__N
If yes, please describe how the audit was resolved (including any payment arrangements):



Are you facing another IRS action other than an audit? __Y/__N
If yes, please describe:



Are you pursuing a dispute with the IRS? __Y/__N
If yes, describe your complaint in as much detail as possible, providing dates and indicating whether you have supporting documentation (please provide copies):



Have you filed a formal complaint with the IRS? __Y/__N
If yes, please describe and provide documentation:



Has your complaint been disposed of by the IRS? __Y/__N
If yes, what was the outcome of the proceedings?



Did you complain to anyone at the IRS informally? __Y/__N
If so, what was the response to your complaint?




What is your desired outcome?



Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified tax attorney to help you navigate your federal and/or state tax issues.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options