Answers to Your Legal Questions About COVID-19
In uncertain times, the law becomes more important than ever. At FindLaw.com, we're working hard to provide answers to your legal questions about the novel coronavirus. Click on the links below to get information about how to protect your finances, your family, your business, and more. This resource will be updated frequently to address new and changing issues.
Protecting My Finances
Have you temporarily lost your job? Been asked to work more hours? Do you suspect price gouging? Need refunds for your airplane or concert ticket? This section explores the financial questions people have during a pandemic.
- Employment Law Resources
- I Need Unemployment
- Price Gouging, Travel Lawsuits, and Other Consumer Issues
- When Should I File for Bankruptcy?
- Can I File for Bankruptcy Right Now?
- Do Colleges Refund Canceled Classes?
Protecting My Family
Some families are figuring out remote learning, while others need to change custody or visitation because of stay-at-home orders. There are also big-picture issues that need to be addressed, including estate planning documents like healthcare directives. And then there are the people for whom shelter-in-place is not just hard, but dangerous. Read more in this section.
- Divorcing During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- I’m at Risk: Domestic Violence and COVID-19 Stay-at-Home Orders
- Shared Custody During a Pandemic
- What Estate Planning Documents Do I Need in Place?
- What Legal Documents Should I Prepare Now?
- Childcare Centers and Daycares: Are They Open? Do I Need to Keep Paying?
- What Do I Need to Know About Remote Learning?
- Can I Keep My Kids Home From School?
- Can I Break My Lease?
- Eviction Moratorium Loopholes to Look Out For
Protecting My Small Business
Small businesses are particularly at risk right now. Whether you own a law firm, a restaurant, or another business, we answer your questions about employment law issues, financial issues, contract issues, and more.
- Protecting Your Business During a Pandemic
- Reopening Your Business After COVID-19 Closures
- Resources for Lawyers and Law Firms
- COVID-19 Resource Center for Small Businesses
- Employer Liability for COVID-19 Exposure
My Legal Case During a Pandemic
Around the country, legal cases have been put on hold. What happens now? Learn about how legal cases are affected in pandemics by following the links below.
- What Happens to My Civil Case?
- What Happens to My Immigration Case?
- What Happens If My Criminal Case Is Suspended?
- How Courts Are Handling COVID-19
- Does the Pandemic Affect Statutes of Limitations?
- 6 Types of COVID-19 Lawsuits Coming Down the Pike
Understanding Government Action During COVID-19
State and federal governments have taken far-reaching actions in order to “flatten the curve,” prepare hospitals, and protect the economy. In this section, we explore the new laws, orders, and more.
What's Legal? What's Not?
There are many questions being posed online about what you can and cannot do during a pandemic. Get the answers here.
- What Are the Legal Consequences If You Knowingly Infect Someone?
- 6 Things That Are Now Illegal After COVID-19
- Is It Legal to Resell Hand Sanitizer and Toilet Paper?
- Can Your HOA Get Involved If You Park an RV or Get COVID-19?
- What Are the Legal Ramifications for Churches That Ignore Social Distancing?
- Things You (Probably) Never Thought to Ask About COVID-19
Do You Need a Lawyer?
Legal issues don’t stop because of a pandemic. Even if you are under a shelter-in-place order or quarantine, you can still talk to a lawyer and get the legal assistance you need. Many lawyers offer phone and video consultations. To find a lawyer in your area, visit FindLaw’s lawyer directory.
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.
Next Steps: Schedule a Virtual Consultation
Many attorneys are offering phone and online consultations. Contact a lawyer to discuss your unique legal issue.
Information for Lawyers
Visit our page on COVID-19 resources for legal professionals.
Recursos en Español
Visite nuestro sitio Abogado.com para acceder a recursos legales en español sobre el coronavirus.
Super Lawyers on COVID-19
Find articles about COVID-19 featuring Super Lawyers selectees on superlawyers.com/articles (search for COVID-19).