Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Protest Laws by State

In the United States, you have the right to assemble and peacefully protest against the government as you see fit. Derived from the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, you can assemble and engage in peaceful protest in a public space. That means sidewalks, streets, public squares, and parks, just to name a few.

Yet along with that right, the government can place reasonable restrictions on your speech activities known as “time, place, and manner” restrictions. One such example is requiring you to have a demonstration permit before a large group assembles to march down a major public street or when a gathering of protesters agree to march on Washington D.C. during a contentious presidential inauguration. These types of restrictions are considered “reasonable” because the Supreme Court has found they are not based on the content of the speech.

Each state has its own form of protest laws designed to spell out the demonstration permit process and provide criminal penalties for violations of peaceful protest laws. Keep in mind, individual municipalities and cities may have their own ordinances related to marches, demonstrations, or protests. Speak with a local attorney or contact the city in which you plan to protest to learn more.

Protest Laws by State Overview

Below you will find key information on protest test laws by state including examples of demonstration permit procedures from key cities. Not all citiies have the same requirements, even if located in the same state. Contact city officials in the location you wish to protest to learn more. Finally, you should always follow the lawful order of a peace officer while exercising your right to free speech.


Public Property Protest/Demonstration Permit Information (By Major City)

Unlawful Assembly State Code

Failure to Disperse State Code



Traffic Engineering Department

  • Applies to any demonstration or other event organized or held for political, religious, or other First Amendment related purpose
  • Must fill out application three working days before demonstration
  • Pay non-refundable fee




Parks and Recreation Department

  • Must file Special Event Permit Application
  • Must pay non-refundable processing fee
  • Must include a site plan/event proposal
  • May have to file a Noise Permit Application



City Manager’s Office/Parks and Recreation Department

  • Typically required for public outdoor assembly which will require street closures including event conducted outdoors, including but not limited to beer gardens and mazes, having a projected attendance of 500 or more persons or confines 50 or more attendees by the permanent or temporary installation of barricades or fencing. Check with the city manager to learn more
  • Must file application at least 30 days prior to event and pay fee


Little Rock

City Manager’s Office

  • May need to file a Public Assembly Permit application signed by a notary public if there is a serious traffic, safety concerns, or competing‐use concerns
  • Pay application fee
  • Department of Public Works and Little Rock Police will additionally review the application


Los Angeles

Special Events Permit Unit (SEPU) within Emergency Operations Division of the Los Angeles Police Department

  • File Special Event Permit Application for parades, marches, demonstrations, processions and assemblies in public places which impact the normal and usual traffic regulations and controls.
  • Should file at least 40 days in advance
  • May require permitting fee, check with department



Denver Parks and Recreation (For public assemblies of 50 or more people at Denver public parks and recreation facilities)

Colorado Division of Central Services (For Colorado State Capitol and Lincoln Park)

  • File Event Permit Request form 30 days in advance
  • Possible $150 fee
  • Must designate an “Event Marshall” as a point of contact during event
  • §18-9-105 (Disobedience of public safety orders under riot conditions)



Permits Office

  • Must file application for all parades or demonstrations
  • Pay $50 fee



Department of Parks and Recreation

  • Apply for a Special Event Permit
  • Apply 30-45 in advance for groups under 300 people, 90-120 days in advance for groups of 300 or more
  • A “special event” is any organized activity that occurs within Wilmington’s city limits which attracts a crowd to a public or private venue. Contact office for more information.
  • Del. Code tit. § 3101 (Disorderly Conduct, congregating with other persons in a public place and refusing to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse)

District of Columbia

Mayor's Special Events Task Group

  • Permit needed for special events
  • A special event includes parades, cultural programs, festivals, musical rock concerts, religious gatherings, block parties, community activities, and First Amendment Rights activities.
  • "Any activity where large numbers of persons may gather" and "activities for which licenses and permits are required”
  • Permit requirements vary by agency



Office of Special Events

  • Must file Special Event Permit 90 days prior to demonstration
  • Application fee $100-$200 depending on event



Office of Special Events

  • File an Assembly Permit Application 30 days in advance of event
  • An assembly is a pre-planned event consisting of people, animals or vehicles, or any combination of the above moving towards a common destination or goal that requires temporarily closing or obstructing all or part of any street, sidewalk, or other public right of way.
  • Pay application fee of $50 plus non-refundable sanitation bond, under some circumstances



Department of Transportation Services

  • File a permit application and provide all required documentation and fees
  • Must be filed 5 days before event
  • A permit is required for a march, procession, assembly or for any activity on a public street, sidewalk or alley which does not comply with normal and usual traffic regulations or controls



City of Boise, Special Events

  • Must file Special Event Application within 45 days of demonstration
  • Pay fee $200 permit application fee
  • Includes festivals, parades, runs/walks, farmer’s markets, and other planned group activities



City of Chicago office

  • Must file permit application in some circumstances for rallies and/or marches
  • Depends on location of protest (public park, plazas, public buildings such as the State of Illinois Thompson Building Plaza
  • Contact the Mayor’s office to learn more



Business and Neighborhood Services & Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department

  • File Special Event Permit 60 days prior to event
  • Pay fee ranging from $75-$268
  • Name a Public Safety contact person
  • More requirements, see website


Des Moines

City Manager

  • File application
  • See website for further requirements



Division of Arts & Cultural Services

  • File Community Event Application within 180 and 60 days before event
  • Pay $25 fee plus $74 late fee if application is submitted less than 60 calendar days before event



Louisville Metro Emergency Services


New Orleans

City of New Orleans' One Stop Shop



Public Assembly Facilities Division



Department of Recreation and Parks Office



City of Boston

  • Submit Public Event Application either two weeks or 30 days before event, depending on size
  • Pay fee
  • May have to receive permission from several different departments

Mass. Gen. laws ch. 269, §1



City Clerk’s Office



Department of Public Works

  • Apply for a Parade Permit at least five days prior to event
  • $25 application fee



Jackson Police Department


Kansas City

Public Works



Public Works



Public Works

  • See Individual City Ordinances for More Information


Las Vegas

Las Vegas City Hall

New Hampshire


City of Manchester

New Jersey


Newark Police Department

New Mexico


New York

New York City

New York Police Department, City of New York

North Carolina


Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, City of Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT)

North Dakota


City of Fargo Police Department

  • Submit application and see website for further details
  • Applications must be submitted 45 days before event




Oklahoma City

Office of Special Events



Portland Bureau of Transportation

  • Or. Rev. Stat. § 131.675



Office of Special Events

Rhode Island


City of Providence Special Event Planning

South Carolina


Columbia Police Department

South Dakota

Sioux Falls

Special Event Planning

  • Includes events involving 25 or more persons, animals or vehicles, or a combination thereof, open to the general public taking place on public space that involves a temporary and exclusive use of public space involving a substantial deviation from current legal land use or legal nonconforming use
  • File Application 90 days before event



Special Events Office

  • File Application at least 14 days prior to event
  • Pay fee between $25-$50



Mayor’s Office of Special Events

  • File Application for Special Event
  • Deadlines vary
  • Cost depends on event type
  • See Special Event Permit pamphlet


Salt Lake City



Burlington Police Department

  • File Police Event Permit Application and contact department to learn more


City of Virginia Beach

Special Events and Film Production Office



Special Events Office

  • File Special Events permit for your Free Speech event
  • Free Speech Event means solely expressive activity, such as march, rally, demonstration, or other activity
  • Does not include non-expressive or commercial activity such as commercial food or sales

West Virginia

City of Charleston



Special Events Permit Office



City Clerk’s Office

· Same

Note: State laws are always subject to change, usually through the enactment of new legislation but also through court decisions and other means. Contact an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Questions About Protest Laws? Speak with an Attorney

If you are thinking of applying for a permit to peacefully protest and need help sorting out all the red tape, you may want to consult an attorney in your state to help guide you through the paperwork and make sure you are meeting all deadlines. A civil rights attorney can assist you with city regulations, explain the law, and help you if you are arrested for a protest-related violation.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified civil rights attorney to help you protect your rights.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options