Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Texas District Attorneys

The officials with the authority to file criminal charges against suspects on behalf of the state are called "District Attorneys" or just "D.A.s" for short, although some states use different terminology. When the D.A. files the "information" or a grand jury decides to indict, then the criminal case is set in motion and scheduled for an arraignment. District Attorneys have a degree of discretion in regard to criminal charges in their district.

This article will help you learn about Texas District Attorneys, when to contact them, and how.

When to Contact a Texas District Attorney

It's typically not a good idea to pick up the phone and call the D.A. on your own; your attorney will know when it makes sense and in most cases make the call on your behalf. The most common reason to contact the D.A. is to work out a plea deal before going to trial. Such conversations also may help your attorney get a better handle on how the prosecution is approaching your case.

But it's important to understand that prosecutors are tasked with getting convictions, so anything you say or reveal could jeopardize your defense strategy.

Texas Attorney General

The elected position of Attorney General (or A.G.) of Texas is the chief attorney for the state and represents Texas in matters of litigation. The A.G.'s office also enforces child support payments, supports crime victims, enforces consumer protection laws, and more.

Directory of Texas District Attorneys

Texas is a large state with many judicial districts. Click on a link below to learn more about your local District or County Attorney and how to contact them.

Anderson County

Kent County (39th District)

Andrews County

Kerr County

Angelina County

Kimble County

Archer County (97th District)

Kinney County

Armstrong County

Kleberg County

Atascosa County

Lampasas County

Austin County

Lavaca County (25th District)

Bailey County (287th District)

Lee County

Bee County (156th District)

Leon County

Bell County (27th District)

Liberty County

Bexar County

Lipscomb County

Borden County

Live Oak County

Bosque County (220th District)

Llano County

Brazoria County

Lubbock County

Brazos County

Lynn County

Brewster County

Marion County

Briscoe County

Mason County

Burleson County

Matagorda County

Cameron County

McCulloch County

Camp County

McLennan County

Carson County

Midland County

Chambers County

Mills County

Cherokee County

Montgomery County

Childress County

Moore County

Clay County

Motley County (110th District)

Cochran County

Nacogdoches County

Coleman County

Navarro County

Collin County

Newton County

Coke County

Nolan County (32nd District)

Coleman County

Nueces County

Comal County

Ochiltree County

Comanche County (220th District)

Oldham County

Concho County (119th District)

Orange County

Cooke County

Palo Pinto County

Coryell County (52nd District)

Panola County

Cottle County

Parker County

Crane County

Parmer County

Crockett County

Pecos County (83rd & 112th District)

Crosby County

Polk County

Culberson County (34th District)

Potter County

Dallas County

Presidio County

Dawson County

Rains County

Deaf Smith County

Randall County

Denton County

Real County

Eastland County

Roberts County

Ector County

Robertson County

Ellis County

Rockwall County

El Paso County (34th Dist)

Runnels County (119th District)

Fannin County

Rusk County

Fisher County

San Augustine County

Fort Bend County

San Jacinto County

Franklin County

Schleicher County (51st District)

Frio County

Shackelford County

Galveston County

Shelby County

Glasscock County

Sherman County

Gonzales County

Smith County

Gray County (31st and 223rd District)

Stephens County

Grayson County

Sterling County

Gregg County

Sutton County

Grimes County

Swisher County

Guadalupe County (25th District)

Tarrant County

Hall County

Terrell County

Hamilton County (220th District)

Terry County

Hansford County

Titus County

Hardin County (88th District)

Throckmorton County

Harris County

Tom Green County (51st and 119th District)

Harrison County

Travis County

Hartley County

Trinity County

Haskell County (39th District)

Tyler County

Hays County

Upton County (83rd District)

Henderson County

Van Zandt County

Hidalgo County

Victoria County

Hill County

Walker County

Hockley County

Ward County

Hood County

Washington County

Hopkins County

Webb County

Houston County (349th District)

Wheeler County

Hudspeth County (34th District)

Wichita County

Irion County (51st District)

Wilbarger County

Jack County District Atty (271st District)

Williamson County

Jackson County

Winkler County

Jasper County

Wise County (271st District)

Jeff Davis County

Wood County

Jefferson County

Yoakum County

Jim Wells County

Zapata County

Johnson County

Zavala County

Kaufman County


Note: Although we strive to provide the most current contact and website information available for the D.A. offices in this state, this information is subject to change. If you have found contact or website information that is not current, please contact us.

Let a Texas Criminal Defense Attorney Help You With Your Case

If you've been arrested and charged with a crime in Texas, you're sure to have many questions regarding the process. If you want to know more about your rights and any possible defenses, now is the time to act. Start by getting in touch with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Texas.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified criminal lawyer to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options