Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Education and Disability Access: Additional Legislation

Education is a fundamental right for all children, including those with disabilities. Over the years, the United States has enacted various laws to help ensure that students with disabilities receive the educational support they need. These laws protect these students' civil and educational rights. They provide them with equal opportunities to learn and grow.

Key legislation includes the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is also an integral law. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is also important in this area of law. These laws have made significant strides in promoting disability rights in education.

Let's explore this in more detail below.

The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, is a special education law. This law mandates that public schools provide free appropriate public education (FAPE). FAPE must be provided to students with disabilities.

This act requires school districts and local educational agencies to create education plans for students. These plans are referred to as an individualized education program (IEP). The school must provide an IEP for each eligible student. The IEP team includes educators, parents, and specialists. The team works together to address the unique needs and individual goals of the student.

IDEA emphasizes educating students in the least restrictive environment (LRE) possible. This helps ensure that the student is educated in a setting suitable for their learning needs. This also allows for interaction with non-disabled peers.

The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)

The Americans with Disabilities Act is a civil rights law. It prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. Discrimination is not allowed in all areas of public life, including schools. This act requires that students with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else.

The ADA requires educational institutions to provide reasonable accommodations. These institutions must also provide accessibility to students with disabilities. Educational institutions include both charter schools and postsecondary institutions.

The ADA covers a wide range of disabilities. This includes physical, learning, mental, and sensory disabilities. It ensures that students with disabilities can access educational opportunities and enrollment. It also ensures that students can take part in all school activities.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal law. This law helps protect the rights of individuals with disabilities. Specifically, this law protects students in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. In other words, no school that receives federal funding can discriminate. If they do, they could risk their funding in the future.

Under Section 504, students with disabilities are entitled to receive accommodations. They can get modifications to ensure they have equal access to education. This Act covers a broader range of impairments and disabilities as compared to the IDEA. This Act includes learning disabilities like dyslexia and ADHD. Section 504 plans help in meeting the educational needs of each student.

Special Education and Advocacy

Advocacy plays a critical role in special education. It's aimed so that parents, educators, and advocates work together to ensure that students with special needs receive the appropriate services and support. This helps to navigate the complexities of special education law. This includes areas like individual rights, procedural safeguards, and the dispute resolution process.

Advocacy involves ensuring that school districts adhere to mandates and timelines. These guidelines are set by state law and the U.S. Department of Education. Advocacy also includes pushing for amendments in special education programs and policies. Changes can occur at both the local and statewide levels.

Getting Legal Help With Special Education Services

Understanding and navigating the world of special education can be challenging. Families seeking help can turn to legal help for guidance. Lawyers familiar with special education law can offer advice on due process and dispute resolution. They can help in understanding the complexities of IDEA, ADA, and Section 504.

Speak to an education law attorney about your legal issue today.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified education attorney to help you navigate education rights and laws.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options