Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Citizenship Basics

There are several ways to become a U.S. citizen, each with a unique set of rules and requirements. If you are considering applying for citizenship, you should become familiar with the procedures involved in order to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. The Citizenship Basics section outlines the essential points that anyone applying for U.S. citizenship needs to understand. Included are articles about dual citizenship, the requirements for U.S. citizenship, government resources to help with the naturalization process, primers on U.S. citizenship for foreign-born adopted children, renunciation of U.S. citizenship, and more. Choose an article below to get started.

Learn About Citizenship Basics

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options