Jane Lynch's Divorce Finalized: $1.2M to Ex-Wife
"Glee" star Jane Lynch has finalized her divorce, and she's agreed to give $1.2 million to her ex-wife to call it quits.
Dr. Lara Embry, Lynch's ex-wife, finalized the divorce settlement with her famous ex-spouse on Monday, but she won't be walking away empty-handed. TMZ reports that among other things, Embry will be receiving half of several bank accounts, retirement funds, royalties from Lynch's television appearances, and half of their tax refund.
What can future divorcees learn from Jane Lynch's split?
Divorce, Even Gay Divorce, Is Expensive
As more and more states have now allowed gay marriage, gay couples are starting to realize the gaping financial pit that is divorce. There are even some states which have allowed gay divorce but do not allow gay marriage (wrap your head around that).
And in the states which allow gay divorce, many also abide by the principles of community property -- splitting most assets down the middle. That's not the case in Massachusetts, where Lynch and Embry were married, but it is in California where they filed for divorce.
TMZ's estimate gives Embry:
- More than $1.2 million in bank accounts, trusts, retirement funds, and tax refunds;
- $1.2 million in a lump sum over two years;
- Half of the proceeds of the ex-couple's Mulholland Tennis Club membership;
- Half of Lynch's TV royalties (including that sweet "Glee" money); and
- Their dog Francis (the whole dog).
So despite Lynch having a fairly good career in hand, she's probably going to miss the millions that are walking out the door with her ex-wife Embry.
Divorce Takes Time
According to TMZ, Lynch and Embry filed for divorce in Los Angeles County in July 2013, which puts the timeline for their divorce at a bit over a year. This may have been because of Embry's early demands for over $1 million per year in spousal support, which probably came down a bit in the final divorce settlement.
Now that things are finalized and the deed is done, Yahoo! Celebrity reports that the two women are still cordial with one another. Hopefully that won't change after they've paid their respective attorneys.
- Jane Lynch Divorce Finalized, Ex Lara Embry Gets $1.2 Million Over Two Years (E! News)
- Paula Patton Files for Divorce From Robin Thicke (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Randy Jackson's Wife Files for Divorce: Report (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- 1st Gay Divorce in Colo. Sets Precedent (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
Was this helpful?
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.