Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Teen Mom' Amber Portwood Back in Jail for Probation Violation

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on December 20, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Former MTV reality show star Amber Portwood's probation violation has landed her back in jail. The ex-Teen Mom may face a jail sentence of up to two years - it's up to the judge to decide at this point.

The now 21-year-old mother has faced mounting legal woes. She came under scrutiny when she was shown beating up former fiancé Gary Shirley on TV.

She later pled guilty to the assault and was sentenced to probation in June 2011.

If she had fully complied with the terms of her probation, Portwood likely would have avoided all future legal woes stemming from her attack on Shirley.

Unfortunately, she didn't exactly stay out of trouble. According to The Daily Mail:

  • She hit a woman last month after drinking heavily at a restaurant.
  • She failed to obtain a GED certificate.
  • She didn't complete anger management courses.
  • She failed to set up a college trust fund for her daughter
  • She failed to pay probation fees.

Portwood will now have to report to a judge. Prosecuting attorneys will have to prove that Portwood did violate terms of the probation.

The Teen Mom star also has legal rights, and can try to defend herself during the hearing.

The judge will then decide what sentences is appropriate given the violations. The judge may look to whether or not the individual is a repeat offender, or the nature of the offense.

It is unclear what will happen to the Teen Mom star's custody arrangement for her daughter. CPS recently closed its investigation and granted Portwood joint custody, reports The Daily Mail.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard