Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

The Michael Jackson Will: Father Gets No Inheritance

By Kamika Dunlap on November 11, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Hands off.

Michael Jackson's father will not inherit any of his son's assets.

Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff said Joe Jackson was not named in the Michael Jackson will and cannot challenge the hand picked executors.

"Joe Jackson takes none of this estate. This is a decision his son made," the judge said.

The singer's father had no legal standing to object to the executors because he wasn't a beneficiary, the judge added.

The Michael Jackson will left his assets to his mother, his children and children's charities.

But the judge told Joe Jackson that he could pursue a motion to receive a family allowance from the estate because he claimed his son had been supporting him, the AP reports.

Last week, the The Los Angeles Times reported Jackson filed a motion auguing that the executors of his son's estate should set up a monthly allowance for him, similar to the one created for the singer's mother, Katherine Jackson.

Jackson, 80, said that his son helped him with living expenses for years and a $15,000 monthly stipend should cover his budget. According to the New York Times , the estate gives Katherine Jackson $26,000 a month.  

A hearing is scheduled for Dec. 10 on Joe Jackson's request for a family allowance.

Separately, the court released filing information that the estate paid nearly $1 million in expenses for the private family funeral held at Forest Lawn Memorial Park. Some of the top expenses include $590,000 for Jackson's crypt in Forest Lawn's Great Mausoleum, $11,716 on guests invitations, $30,000 for a fleet of luxury cars and $15,000 for a funeral planner.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard