Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Three 6 Mafia Rapper Arrested for Having a Taser

By Andrew Lu | Last updated on

A Three 6 Mafia rapper with a Taser? Doesn't sound like national criminal news does it? But it is, when Three 6 Mafia's DJ Paul got arrested in New York City last night for allegedly carrying a Taser.

The Academy Award-winning rapper was reportedly leaving a restaurant while carrying an open container of beer.

The rapper walked by two cops who confronted him about the beer, and DJ Paul apparently told the cops that he was also carrying the Taser, reports TMZ. DJ Paul was placed under arrest and put behind bars.

DJ Paul was charged with both an open container violation and misdemeanor possession of a weapon, reports TMZ.

Generally, the laws regarding carrying a Taser are governed by individual states. In most states, it is perfectly legal to carry a Taser. However, New York happens to be one of the few states where carrying a Taser is prohibited.

New York has some of the strictest Taser laws in the country. While police are allowed to use the electric stun weapons, consumers are prohibited from using them. Other states where it is illegal to have a Taser for personal use include Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia.

In almost every other state, it is generally legal for consumers to use Tasers should you meet certain requirements; including, DJ Paul's native Tennessee.

For carrying the Taser, DJ Paul faces a class A misdemeanor charge and he could face up to one year in jail.

It's not clear what DJ Paul was thinking when he left the New York City restaurant with an open beer in hand. When you're traveling to a different state or country, it's always a good idea to check with local customs and laws. In Memphis, Tennessee, it may be legal to walk around with an open can of beer while packing a Taser. But in New York City, it's illegal to do either.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard