Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Will Faye Dunaway Be Evicted from NYC Apartment?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Faye Dunaway evicted? Isn't she a famous actress or something?

You may be baffled by the situation, but the potential eviction of Faye Dunaway actually has nothing to do with the actress' failure to pay rent or poor residential behavior.

No, it has to do with New York City's rent stabilization laws, which have allowed Dunaway to pay $1,048.72 a month for a one-bedroom apartment.

That's about half of current market value.

Though many cities across the United States have rent control laws, none has rent stabilization laws quite like those found in New York.

In a majority of buildings across the city, once a tenant signs a lease, a landlord's ability to increase rent is limited to a small yearly percentage.

He legally must also provide certain services and renew a tenant's lease if requested.

However, in order to take advantage of lower rent and renewed leases, the rent stabilized apartment must be the tenant's primary residence.

According to Faye Dunaway's landlord, this is not the case.

Though she may have lived in the downscale apartment for quite some time, the New York Times reports that he has found evidence that she lives primarily in California, where she votes and has a car registered.

As a result of this, he asked her leave on July 31 when her lease expired, but she apparently has refused, hence the eviction process.

A hearing has been set for next week, notes the paper, at which time a judge will determine her primary residence, and then decide whether Faye Dunaway is evicted.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard