Top 5 Questions for Your Home Inspector
Do you know what to ask your home inspector? Getting a home inspection before you buy a house is important, as it may reveal hidden problems about the property that you were not aware of. And, asking the home inspector questions can help further increase your knowledge and help you determine if your dream home really is your dream home.
Knowing that home inspections are important is one thing. Knowing what to ask your home inspector is a whole other issue.
So, what are the top 5 questions you should ask your home inspector?
- What is involved in the home inspection? Do you know what your home inspector is checking for, and what problems they are looking out for? Ask your home inspector what the home inspection details so that you know if there are any gaps you may need to fill in later.
- How much is the inspection going to cost? Like most services, it's best to know up front how much you should be paying for in fees. In the case of a home inspection, many home inspections range between $250 and $500.
- What experience do you have in home inspection? A home inspection is only worth much if it actually is done by an experienced professional who knows how to spot problems. Asking your home inspector about their experience level may be useful in determining if it's right to hire them.
- Are you licensed or a member of a professional home inspector organization? There are many states that don't have professional licenses for home inspectors. If there is no state licensing requirement for home inspectors in your state, getting a home inspector who is a part of a professional organization may be the next best thing.
- How do you keep up-to-date on current inspection rules? Education for home inspectors can mean training and a keener ability to spot issues. Knowing that your home inspector takes continuing education seriously can be something worthwhile.
Of course, a home inspection may not be the only inspection you need. Some more specialized problems, like pests, may require separate inspections. But knowing what to ask home inspectors and having some basic home inspector questions on hand can be helpful.