Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Want to Track Work Hours, Wages? App for That

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Think you aren't getting paid enough? Or just want to make sure that you are? There's an app for that.

The Department of Labor has recently released DOL-Timesheet, a free hour tracker app that allows iPhone users to keep track of hours worked and wages earned.

This includes overtime pay and mandatory break periods. The iPhone app may eventually track bonuses, commissions, holiday and weekend pay, and tips.

It may seem like overkill to track your own hours and wages, but there are a few good reasons to do so. These include:

  • Verification of hours worked
  • Verification of proper pay, including overtime
  • Budgeting
  • Tax deductions and records
  • Income disclosures
  • Future lawsuits

Whoa, future lawsuits? Employers are supposed to keep detailed wage and hour records, but often fail to do so. They may also fail to comply with overtime laws, or employee classification rules.

If both of these occur, it is useful to have your own records. Should you or the government bring suit, you will be able to prove any owed back pay. Records will also provide evidence that an employer failed to comply with the law.

Recordkeeping ultimately protects you, and can help ensure that you are properly paid.

If you don't have an iPhone, DOL-Timesheet isn't the only hour tracker app out there. There are similar programs for other smart phones, as well as computer-based software. You can even track your hours on a piece of paper, or in a simple text document.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard