Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Showering Burglar Calls 911: 'I Broke Into a House, Owner Came Home'

By Jason Beahm on March 10, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

"Why are you in my house taking a shower ... Who are you?"

An Oregon woman came home to find a burglar named Timothy Chapek in her house taking a shower. Homeowner Hilary McKenzie seemed to find the incident rather entertaining. She called 911 to let them take care of the matter, but meanwhile she found out that Chapek had already called the police himself.

"I just broke into a house and the owner came home ... I think they have guns," Chapek, 24, said to the dispatcher, The Smoking Gun reports.

"You broke into a house?" the dispatcher, obviously stunned, replied. It's not every day that a suspect calls 911 to report that the owner of the house they broke into is interfering with their shower.

It only gets weirder from there. "I broke in...I already called them," he added, when McKenzie threatened to call the police. "They're on the phone right now." "He said ... he was kidnapped ... He's obviously nuts," McKenzie said of her showering burglar, Timothy Chapek.

After police entered the house, they arrested Chapek for criminal trespassing, The Oregonian reports. Chapek seemed lucid but his behavior suggests mental illness, Reuters reports. Both 911 calls can be heard here.

Trespassing can be either civil or criminal. Trespassing is entering onto land without the consent of the landowner. Timothy Chapek was most likely charged with criminal trespassing instead of a more serious crime such as burglary or breaking and entering because police did not believe that he had the intent to steal or harm anyone.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard