Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Utah Woman Attacked Ice Cream Truck Driver Over High Prices

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

A dollar here, a quarter there -- it all adds up. Which may be why Andrea Chavez, 65, attacked an ice cream truck driver selling too-expensive treats.

The assault occurred at Chavez' apartment complex in Taylorsville, Utah. She approached the ice cream truck driver and told the driver to leave. But when she didn't, Chavez got violent.

She sprayed the driver in the face with an industrial-strength cleaner called Mean Green.

When police arrived to the August assault, she threatened and kicked at the officers, reports the Deseret News. Andrea Chavez then told police she attacked the ice cream truck driver because "she charges too much for ice cream."

In legal land, high prices are not a reason to attack a vendor. In fact, if you were to commit an assault and give that (or a similar) excuse to police, prosecutors or jury members, you're likely to find yourself tried and convicted.

Which is why you should probably keep your excuses to yourself -- even if you think they're really good. Wait for your attorney -- or ask for one to be appointed -- and let her decide how to proceed.

If it really was self-defense, lucky you. If not, you'll be glad you kept that information to yourself.

Andrea Chavez is probably wishing she had kept quiet, as her excuse will probably hurt her case. She was charged on Monday with assault, assault against a peace officer, interference with an arresting officer and a violent offense committed in the presence of a child.

Yeah, the driver's kids were in the truck.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard