Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Woman Shot Herself Twice to Backup Fake Home Invasion Story

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on May 21, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Tennessee law enforcement sprung into action when 48-year-old Joy Lounders called to report a robbery and shooting at her home. While waiting for a Lifestar flight, she told investigators that she had been attacked by a white male with grey hair.

The man had entered her home, prompting her to grab her .38 handgun. A struggle followed, and she ended up with bullets through her leg and back.

This was all a lie. Lounders had shot herself.

She eventually confessed while at the hospital, according to WATE-TV. But this was long after investigators scoured the city looking for a silver van. After a few hours, Sheriff Bud McCoig told WBIR-TV his crew realized that all the evidence just didn't add up.

Sheriff McCoig isn't entirely sure why Joy Lounders shot herself, but he thinks it may have something to do with May 21. Lounders is technically scheduled to turn herself in on Monday to serve a DUI sentence, according to WBIR-TV. Her sentence may now have to be postponed.

There's no word yet on whether prosecutors will file charges, but if they do, Launders may be in for a longer stint behind bars. She technically initiated a false report with law enforcement, which is a Class D felony. According to state sentencing guidelines, first time offenders are sentenced from 2 to 4 years behind bars for such a crime.

Joy Lounders would have been better off just turning herself in. Now she's got to deal with two bullet holes in her body and perhaps a whole new trial and sentence.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard