Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Judge Jacqueline Nguyen Confirmed in 91-3 Vote

By Robyn Hagan Cain | Last updated on

The Senate confirmed Judge Jacqueline Nguyen for a seat on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals last night by a vote of 91-3. She will be the first Vietnamese American and first Asian-Pacific woman to serve on a federal appeals court, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

President Obama nominated Judge Nguyen to serve on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals last September. Nguyen has served as a U.S. District Judge in the Central District of California in Los Angeles since 2009. She was a Los Angeles Superior Court judge before migrating to the federal bench.

Judge Nguyen was born in Dalat, Vietnam. She received her AB from Occidental College in 1987, and her JD from UCLA School of Law in 1991.

Judge Nguyen will fill a new seat on Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that has been vacant since it was authorized in January 2009. President Obama initially nominated Berkeley Professor Goodwin Liu to the seat, but Liu did not have enough support in the Senate to survive the confirmation process.

There are currently two remaining vacancies on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals: Los Angeles attorney Paul Watford is awaiting confirmation for the seat left vacant by the late Judge Pamela Rymer, and Arizona Supreme Court Justice Andrew Hurwitz is waiting to fill Judge Mary Schroeder's seat on the bench.

Prior to Judge Nguyen's confirmation, former Alaska Supreme Court Justice Morgan Christen was the last judge to be confirmed to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Judge Nguyen is the third Obama nominee to be confirmed for the circuit.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard