Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Shomo v. City of New York, No. 07-1208

By FindLaw Staff on August 13, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

In an action claiming medical indifference in violation of the Eighth Amendment, district court judgment is affirmed in part and vacated in part where: 1) the continuing violation doctrine can apply to Eighth Amendment claims of medical indifference brought under 42 U.S.C. sec. 1983 when the plaintiff shows an ongoing policy of deliberate indifference to his or her serious medical needs and some acts in furtherance of the policy within the relevant statute of limitations period; 2) the court properly granted plaintiff leave to amend his complaint in order to state timely Eighth Amendment claims based on the continuing violation doctrine; 3) the court properly dismissed plaintiff's claims with prejudice as to certain defendants; 4) plaintiff is granted leave to replead his claims against named and unnamed supervisors and replead his municipal liability claim against the City; and 5) plaintiff's ADA and Rehabilitation Act claims are remanded as the court did not address whether the continuing violation doctrine applied to plaintiff's disability discrimination claims.    

Read Shomo v. City of New York, No. 07-1208

Appellate Information
Appeal from the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Argued: April 1, 2009
Decided August 13, 2009

Before JACOBS, Chief Judge, and POOLER, Circuit Judge.
Opinion by POOLER, Circuit Judge.
Concurring Opinion by DENNIS JACOBS, Chief Judge. 

For Plaintiff: LEE G. DUNST, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP, New York, NY.

For Defendant: SUZANNE K. COLT, Assistant Corporation Counsel, New York, NY.



You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard