Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Guided Legal Forms & Services: Sign In

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Decisions re Wrongful Termination Case and Applicability of GST Tax

By FindLaw Staff on April 02, 2010 4:05 PM

Pendley v. Fed. Mine Safety & Health Review Comm'n, No. 09-3213 involved a plaintiff's petition for review of an order of the Federal Mine Safety & Health Reivew Commission, which affirmed the ALJ's ruling against the petitioner in his suit against his former employer claiming wrongful termination. 

In granting in part and denying in part the petititon, the court held that the Commission erred in its analysis of the ALJ's decision with regard to defendant's three-part justification for terminating plaintiff's employment, as at the very least, the Commission departed from its own precedent without articulating a reason for doing so.  In addition, the Commission erred in finding that the plaintiff's post-reinstatement working conditions did not constitute adverse action by the employer.

Estate of Timken v. US, No. 09-3650, involved an issue of whether the incidence of the estate tax can skip a generation when a pre-GST tax irrevocable trust does not mandate a generation-skipping transfer but merely grants discretion to the trustee or others to skip generations in transferring of assets.  In affirming the district court's decision, the court held that the transfers at issue are subject to the GST tax because the grandfathering exemption is ambiguous as applied to this case, the regulation is a reasonable interpretation of the grandfathering exemption, and this case falls within the regulation. 

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard