Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Gooch v. Life Investors Ins. Co. of Am., No. 09-5598

By FindLaw Staff on December 17, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

In an appeal arising from an action brought by an insured alleging breach of the insurance contract involving how defendant-insurer administers supplemental "cancer only" insurance policies that it has sold to individuals, insurer's petition for various forms of mandamus relief from district court's orders is denied and the decision of the district court is affirmed in part, reversed in part and vacated where: 1) the first three mandamus factors all cut strongly against issuing mandamus relief on the issue of policy interpretation; 2) the district court did nothing improper with respect to deferring ruling on defendant's motion to dissolve the preliminary injunction requiring defendant to continue reimbursing plaintiff under its old method; 3) generalized mandamus orders directing district courts to go forth and manage discovery correctly will not be issued; and 4) district court's decision to issue plaintiff's motion for injunction enjoining defendant from proceeding with final settlement in a class action case in Arkansas is reversed and vacated as the district court has not certified a class, and it necessarily follows that the court has no cause to take extraordinary injunctive measures to protect the interests of a class. 

Gooch v. Life Investors Ins. Co. of Am., No. 09-5598

Appellate Information

Argued: November 19, 2009

Decided and Filed: December 17, 2009


Opinion by Circuit Judge Martin


For Appellant:   Markham R. Leventhal, Jordan Burt LLP

For Appellee:    Thomas O. Sinclair, Leitman Siegal Payne & Campbell PC

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard