Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Law Firms Going Green, Flocking to LEED-Certified Offices

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

The green law firm is apparently all the rage. Well, at least for those located in Washington, D.C., where a number of firms have recently gone small in an attempt to go green.

Large firms like Squire Sanders & Dempsey and McDermott Will & Emery are moving into newly built LEED-certified construction. They're turning to natural lighting, bamboo cabinets and recycled flooring. And they're saving a lot of money doing it.

And so can you.

LEED is a green building certification system that rates overall construction, interior design and maintenance. Working in a LEED office increases your enviro-cred, which may be a big hit with the clients.

The movement is particularly big in D.C., Boston, New York, San Francisco and Chicago, according to the Washington Post. But even if you practice elsewhere, you can still get in on the trend.

If your office is not located in a LEED building, your office itself can still be certified under the commercial interiors program. Certification is given to those who have gone green in the areas of water efficiency, lighting, energy use, recycling, transportation and office supplies.

Moving to a smaller, more efficient office also helps. In fact, Squire Sanders saves about $2 to $3 per square foot, according to the Post. The law firm has both downsized and gone LEED.

Being a green law firm contributes to both your reputation and savings. You can go half way or all the way, but you should consider taking some steps in the green direction.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard