Silver Gavel Awards: ABA Announces Winner of its Highest Honor
The ABA has announced its 54th annual Silver Gavel Awards for Media and the Arts, recognizing outstanding work fostering public understanding of law and the legal system.
This year's recipients include six Silver Gavels and two honorable mentions, selected from nearly 200 entrants.
A short description of the honorees:
1. Bloomberg Markets Magazine: David Evans, Senior Writer, for three stories on life insurance companies' profit from death benefits owed to service members' families, "Fallen Soldiers' Families Denied Cash as Insurers Profit," "Veterans Agency Made Secret Deal Over Benefits," and "Taxpayer-Funded Profits."
2. Minneapolis Star-Tribune Newspaper: Chris Serres and Glenn Howatt, reporters, for a six-part series exploring recent changes in the debt collection industry, "Hounded: Debtors and the New Breed of Collectors."
3. Jay Rosenstein Productions, TV producer, "The Lord is Not on Trial Here Today": a 1-hour PBS film telling the story behind the 1948 Supreme Court decision in McCollum v. Board of Education, 323 U.S. 203 (1948).
4. Noah Feldman, book author: Scorpions: The battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices, Twelve/Hachette Book Group, New York.
5. National Public Radio, Laura Sullivan, correspondent and Steven Drummond, editor, "Bonding for Profit," a three-part investigation into the bail bond process.
6. The Documentary Group, Robe Imbriano, filmmaker, "A Call to Act: Ledbetter v. Goodyear," a 22-minute short documenting the story of Lilly Ledbetter, fair pay advocate.
7. (Honorable Mention, Books) Ken Gormley, author, Crown Publishers, Pittsburgh.
8. (Honorable Mention, Newspapers) ProPublica, Dafna inzer and Chisun Lee, reporters, "The Detention Dilemma," a 14-article series about Obama Administration Guantanamo bay detention policies.
- American Bar Association (ABA Homepage)
- ABA Family Legal Guide (FindLaw)
- The American Bar Associaton Gavel Awards (Tarleton Law Library Archive, University of Texas at Austin)
- ABA Silver Gavel Awards, 2010 (ABA)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.