Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Laurence Maroney Arrested on Suspicion of Drugs, Weapons

By Jason Beahm on January 20, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

If you had to play for the Denver Broncos, you'd probably get high and carry a weapon too.

Jokes aside, an alleged drug possession and weapons possession charge has left Denver Broncos Laurence Maroney arrested in St. Louis. The 25-year-old running back was allegedly in possession of marijuana as well as the weapon, TMZ reports. Maroney did have a valid "Conceal and Carry" permit, but even with the permit you cannot carry a weapon while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

According to police, Maroney was in a car with 5 other people smoking what police believed to be marijuana. Five of the six in the car were arrested and three firearms were found in the course of the arrest, two pistols and one rifle.

Of course Maroney's publicist, Jane Higgins, said Tuesday that the Denver Broncos player did nothing wrong but that instead, it's all just a big misunderstanding:

"Mr. Maroney was unlawfully arrested for possession of weapons. He holds a permit to carry a concealed weapon and he had his permit on his person when he was arrested ... He was not arrested for any drugs nor was he involved in a high speed chase. He was released without being charged with any offense and we do not anticipate he will be charged with any criminal offense."

If that's all true, it seems that unlike during the regular seasons, Maroney managed to slip through a small opening and get away. The former Minnesota star managed only 74 yards of offense in four games with the Broncos, averaging a paltry 2.1 yards per rush.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard