Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Court Reverses Sentence of Heroin Dealer, Remands Case

By Tanya Roth, Esq. on May 14, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals vacated the sentence of a heroin dealer last week, and remanded the case to the district court for resentencing.

Michael Lowry, 28, was sentenced to 10 years behind bars for dealing heroin. He was caught after attempting to sell the drugs to a police informant. He was indicted on possession with intent to distribute less than 100 grams of heroin and he pleaded guilty.

Based on his offense level, the sentencing guidelines recommended that he be sentenced to anywhere between 24 to 30 months. He had a history of dealing small amounts

Instead, the government filed a sentencing memorandum requesting an upward variance to 72 months due to Lowry's criminal history and his continued recidivism. The memorandum also accused Lowry of killing a man, for which had not been previously charged.

District Judge Alan N. Bloch sided with the government; he went beyond the government's request and sentenced Lowry to 120 months behind bars. This, the judge ruled, was on account of Lowry's juvenile record and his recidivism. According to the court, Lowry had previously served most of a 3- to 6-year state sentence for a similar crime and had gone back to his old ways. As such, the court found that the prior sentence did nothing to deter him from committing crime.

The district court noted that if the prior sentence did nothing to deter Lowry, then the recommended sentence of 24 to 30 months would have little impact.

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals found the district court's decision "procedurally unreasonable" and remanded the case back to the district court.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard