Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

El-Ganayni v. US Dep't of Energy, No. 08-4745

By FindLaw Staff on January 11, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

In plaintiff's suit against the Department of Energy (DOE) and its Acting Deputy Secretary claiming that the revocation of his security clearance and his subsequent termination was based on his political speech and because he is a Muslim, in violation of the U.S. Constitution and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), dismissal of his claims is affirmed where: 1) the district court erred in dismissing plaintiff's First Amendment claim for lack of jurisdiction but it nevertheless is affirmed for failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted because the legal framework applicable to that claim would demand from the DOE an explanation of its decision to revoke his clearance, plus allow a factfinder to weigh the DOE's arguments in support of that decision, and prior case law forbids both; 2) plaintiff's equal protection claim under the Fifth Amendment fails for a similar reason; and 3) plaintiff's claims of due process violations and violations of the APA were properly dismissed for failure to state a claim as plaintiff's security clearance was revoked in accordance with Executive Order 12968 and DOE regulations.     

Read El-Ganayni v. US Dep't of Energy, No. 08-4745

Appellate Information

On Appeal from the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania

Opinion Filed January 11, 2010


Before: Smith, Stapleton and Fisher, Circuit Judges

Opinion by Circuit Judge Smith


For Appellant:  Keith E. Whitson, Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis

For Appellee:   Beth S. Brinkman, US Department of Justice, Civil Division

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard