Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Select State Laws on Hunting and Trespassing

All city, county, and state law enforcement officers are authorized to enforce hunter trespass laws. In 40 states, officers from the state's wildlife management agency or game commission are authorized to enforce the hunter trespassing laws.

In 22 states, posting is not required. It is against the law for hunters to trespass on private property without the landowner's permission even if the land is not posted.

Where posting is required, some states have laws specifying how to post land. Only a few states have statutes that specifically address hunters trespassing to retrieve dogs or wounded animals.

In all other states, hunters may not retrieve dogs or wounded animals on land on which the hunter could not legally hunt. The following are some state laws for consideration;


All hunting requires permission of the landowner. There are no requirements for posting by property owners


Trespassing notices must be

  • printed legibly in English,
  • be at least 144 square inches in size,
  • display the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted and the name and address of the person authorized to grant permission to enter the property. In the case of an island, signage must be placed along the perimeter at each cardinal point of the island. The sign must explicitly state any specific prohibition that the posting is directed against.


Hunters are permitted to enter onto land unless lawfully posted. Signs must be at least eight inches by eleven inches with plainly legible wording in capital and bold-faced lettering at least one inch high. The sign must have the words "no hunting", "no trapping" or "no fishing" either as a single phrase or in any combination.


Trespass while in possession of a firearm is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine up to $5,000.

A person who knowingly propels or causes to be propelled any potentially lethal projectile over or across private land without authorization also commits felony trespass. A potentially lethal projectile includes any projectile launched from any firearm, bow, crossbow or similar tensile device.


The unarmed pursuit of game or fur-bearing animals lawfully injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to the property of another is an exception to the trespass law.


Trespassing is permitted by licensed hunters in order to pursue a wounded game bird or animal, except that if the owner of the land instructs the hunter to leave, the hunter must leave immediately. Any person who fails to leave such land when instructed is subject to the provisions of the criminal trespass law.


Trespass is permitted in order to retrieve a dog or livestock, provided the trespasser is unarmed. Posting by landowners is required. Trespass on marshlands to trap or hunt fur bearing animals without permission is strictly prohibited.


It is unlawful to hunt on private lands in all counties without permission of the landowner or the landowner's lessee.

Written permission is required from the property owner to hunt on private property in Allegany, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Frederick, Garrett, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, St. Mary's, and Washington Counties.

Written permission is required from the property owner to hunt deer on private property in Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties. Written permission is required from the property owner to trap on private and public lands in all counties. The landowner is not liable for accidental injury or damage to the hunter, whether or not the landowner or the landowner's agent or lessee have given permission to hunt.


A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog.


Law allows hunters to trespass unless no trespassing signs are posted along the boundaries every 1000 feet or less, or in wooded areas where boundaries are less clear, at intervals of 500 feet or less, or at the primary corners of each parcel of land and at access roads or trails at points of entrance.

Furthermore, the law mandates that the lettering should be at least two inches high and the name and phone number of the landowner or occupant should be listed. Lands that are cropped or grazed and show signs of tillage, crops, crop residue, or fencing for livestock containment do not require posting of signs. Hunters must ask permission to enter these lands.

A person on foot may, without permission of the owner, enter land to retrieve a wounded animal that was lawfully shot. The hunter must leave the land immediately after retrieving the wounded game. A person on foot may, without permission of the owner, enter private land without a firearm to retrieve a hunting dog. After retrieving the dog, the person must immediately leave the premises.

New York

A person may enter and remain upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to by the owner.

North Carolina

In Halifax and Warren counties, no arrests for trespassing can be made without the consent of the owner the land.

North Dakota

Any hunter may enter upon legally posted land to recover game shot or killed on land where the hunter had a lawful right to hunt.


Signs are required at all entrances and all corners and at 200 yard intervals along property lines.


No person shall hunt upon the cultivated or enclosed land of another without first obtaining permission from the owner or lawful occupant thereof, or the agent of such owner or occupant. The boundaries of enclosed land may be indicated by wire, ditch, hedge, fence, water or by any visible or distinctive lines that indicate a separation from the surrounding or contiguous territory.

South Carolina

Any person entering upon the lands of another for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping, netting; for gathering fruit, wild flowers, cultivated flowers, shrubbery, straw, turf, vegetables or herbs; or for cutting timber on such land, without the consent of the owner or manager, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

South Dakota

In the part of the Black Hills fire protection district lying south of Interstate Highway 90, no person may enter upon any private land with intent to take or kill any bird or animal, after being notified by the owner or lessee not to do so. Such notice may be given orally or by posting written or printed notices to that effect at the residence or where the buildings are located thereon, and at the gates or entering places therein, and in conspicuous places around the land posted. All such notices shall contain the name and address of the owner or lessee posting the lands.


It is against the law to hunt or fish on privately owned lands or waters without the permission of the owner or owner's agent. No person may pursue a wounded wildlife resource across a property line without the consent of landowner of the property where the wildlife resource has fled. Under the trespass provisions of the Penal Code, a person on a property without the permission of the landowner is subject to arrest.


Written permission is required from the owner or person in charge to enter upon private land that is either cultivated or properly posted and must include the signature of the owner or person in charge, the name of the person being given permission, the appropriate dates, and a general description of the property.


Notices prohibiting the taking of wild animals shall be erected upon or near the boundaries of lands to be affected with notices at each corner and not over 400 feet apart along the boundaries thereof. Notices prohibiting the taking of fish shall show the date that the waters were last stocked and shall be maintained upon or near the shores of the waters not over 400 feet apart. Legible signs must be maintained at all times and shall be dated each year.


Fox and racoon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on others lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner.

West Virginia

Written permission must be in the possession of anyone who will shoot, hunt, fish, or trap upon the fenced, enclosed or posted grounds or lands of another person. Written permission is also required to peel trees or timber, build fires or do any other act or thing thereon in connection with or auxiliary to shooting, hunting, fishing or trapping. Hunters who kill or injure any domestic animal or fowl, destroy or damage any bars, gates, or fence, or leave open any bars or gates resulting in damage to the owner, can be held criminally liable as well as liable to the landowner. The landowner may personally arrest any such person found violating this law and take the hunter before a justice of the peace for trial. In such instances, the landowner is vested with all the powers and rights of a game warden.

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Questions About Hunting and Trespassing Laws in Your State? Ask a Lawyer

Disputes over land use can result in legal trouble, expense, and interpersonal conflicts. If you're involved in a land use dispute, it's a good idea to consult with a real estate attorney who can help clarify your rights and obligations, leading to better and faster resolutions.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified real estate to help you navigate land use issues including zoning, easements and eminent domain.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options