Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

What Does a Home Insurance Policy Cover?

You already have liability and collision insurance for your car, pay for a decent health insurance plan, and have just purchased a life insurance plan for your children. You feel a little tapped-out, but you also will want to you consider your home insurance options if you've recently purchased a home. While home insurance policies typically cover damage from fire, certain natural disasters, or damage caused by others, they also can prevent costly lawsuits due to the various liabilities that homeowners assume. For instance, a policy would help shield you from the costs associated with a lawsuit if your new neighbor slipped and fell on your icy driveway, breaking their leg. In many ways, a home insurance policy is there in case the unlikely happens, with the level of coverage dependent on your particular liabilities and appetite for risk.

In any event, it helps to know what a home insurance policy covers before you choose, since it can be quite confusing when you consider additional coverage.

Liability Coverage

Homeowner's insurance policies cover legal liability in the event that anyone suffers an injury while on the insured property. Certain actions of the policyholder which occur away from the insured property may also be covered. Even if a house is under construction and has no contents to be protected, the homeowner should obtain liability insurance to protect against claims of workers, and even trespassers.

When a homeowner purchases liability insurance, part of the insurance company's obligation is to provide a defense in the event of a lawsuit. Even though the insurance company selects the lawyer and must approve the payment of all legal fees and other expenses of the lawsuit, the lawyer represents the policyholder. Under most types of liability insurance, the insurance company has the contractual right to settle or defend the case as it sees fit. The homeowner has an opportunity to express opinion, but the company typically has no obligation to obtain the policyholder's consent or approval.

Suits Against Homeowners: What is Covered?

A suit against a homeowner may involve several different claims, some of which may be covered by the liability insurance policy, and others which may not be covered. The insurance company is obligated to provide a defense for any claim, which could be covered, but the company may not be obligated to pay the damages for certain types of claims. Since liability policies typically do not provide coverage for intentional acts, there may be a question as to whether the policyholder acted intentionally.

Negligent or accidental acts are generally covered, however, papers filed in court might allege both negligent and intentional actions. In such a situation, the insurance company may send the homeowner a Reservation of Rights letter, a notice that the company is paying for the defense for the claim, but is not agreeing that it is required to pay for any and all losses under the terms of the policy.

Get a Free Legal Evaluation of Your Home Insurance Concerns

While you may not need every single bell and whistle available in a home insurance policy, not having adequate insurance can come back and bite you. Essentially, you'll want just enough to protect you and your family, while providing peace of mind so you can enjoy your home. If you have additional questions about home insurance coverage or a pressing legal need, get started today with a free legal evaluation of your concerns.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified real estate attorney to help you navigate issues relating to home ownership.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options