Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Collection of Accounts Checklist

If you extend credit to your customers, it's inevitable that some of those customers are not going to pay you on time. In fact, you can rest assured that some of those customers are not going to pay you at all. What can you do when a customer doesn't pay?

There are a number of important steps you can take including sending a demand letter, visiting the customer in person (if feasible), or hiring a lawyer. There are also collection agencies that are available to assist you in the collections process.

A Word on Collection Agencies

If you do turn your account over to a collection agency, be sure you do your homework first. Make sure the agency is licensed, bonded and follows the rules of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Anything less can not only ruin your reputation in the community, it can have negative legal consequences if the agency engages in unfair collection practices.

How to Collect on a Past Due Account

The following actions can help improve your chances of collecting your accounts.

  • Require payment by cash or credit card whenever possible.
  • Encourage customers to pay sooner by offering discounts for payment within a specific period of time. For example, you could offer a 2 percent discount if an account is paid within ten days rather than thirty.
  • Discourage customers from paying late by charging interest or late fees on delinquent accounts. Be sure to consult with your attorney first to be sure you are complying with your state's usury statutes and applicable federal laws.
  • Make a personal visit to your customer to discuss a past-due bill, or talk to your customer when he or she visits your business, whenever possible.
  • Make a phone call to your customer about the past-due bill in cases where a personal visit is not possible.
  • Send a series of "reminder" letters to your customer if talking to him or her personally is impractical, or if the amount owed is relatively small. The first letter can simply be a friendly reminder. The second letter can be a little more forceful. The third letter can be a "final" demand before you turn the account over to a collection agency or to your attorney.
  • Use a collection agency to collect a past-due account if trying to collect the account is too time consuming or if you have not been successful in collecting it. A collection agency usually charges a significant percentage of the amount of the debt as its fee.
  • File suit in small claims (conciliation) court if the dollar amount of the past due account is under the maximum amount allowed for such claims.
    If the amount owed by your customer is more than the amount allowed by your local small claims or conciliation court, ask your attorney to file a lawsuit to collect the account.

Consulting with a Legal Expert

When it comes to debt collection, most of us aren't experts. But a qualified business and commercial law attorney can be a great resource for you, especially if you need to file a lawsuit. Contact an attorney in your area today.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified business attorney to help you address the finances vital to your business.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Starting Your Business?

Meet FindLaw's trusted provider of business formation solutions:

Let's start your free LLC!

Get worry-free services and support to launch your business starting at $0 plus state fees

Start My LLC
'You want to get it right. ZenBusiness can help.' Mark Cuban, Spokesperson

The #1 rated service by trusted experts

  • Forbes
  • Market Watch
  • Marc Cuban
  • Nerdwallet
  • Investopedia
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options