Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Sample Document: Filing for Transfer of Trademarked Business Name

Available in PDF | MS Word

When you start a corporation, limited liability partnership, limited liability company (LLC), or nonprofit, you will need to register your business name with the corresponding Secretary of State office. This registration process generally is not required for sole proprietors that use their own names as the business name. But fictitious names -- sometimes referred to as "DBAs" (doing business as) -- typically must be registered. As businesses grow and change, perhaps from a sole proprietorship to an LLC, they often change names. When you change the name of your business, you will typically file a transfer of your trademarked business name.

The following is a sample of the type of form you may fill out when registering or transferring your business name, but keep in mind that the laws and procedures in your state may vary. See FindLaw's Trademarks and Choosing Your Business Name sections to learn more.  

Sample Transfer of Trademarked Business Name Form


Fee: $_______

File Number: _______________________________

Class: _____________________________

Mark as Described on Certificate: _________________________________________________________________


Name of Present Registrant:___________________________________________

Address of Present Registrant: _________________________________________________________________



City, State Zip Code

The present registrant has filed this mark and is assigning this registration and all rights to and interest in this mark, including any good will connected to the mark for valid consideration which has been received. This mark is assigned to:


Address: _________________________________________________________________

Street ___________________________________________________________

City_______________________________________________ State_______ Zip_________________

Code State of Formation, if an entity:


I certify that I am authorized to sign this certificate, and I further certify that I understand that by signing this certificate, I am subject to the penalties of perjury as set forth in applicable state statutes as if I had signed this certificate under oath.

Signature ___________________________________________ Date ___________________________

Print Name and Title _______________________________________________________________

All of the information on this form is public and required in order to process this filing. Failure to provide the requested information will prevent the Office from approving or further processing this filing.

Get Professional Legal Assistance with Your Business Name Registration or Transfer

It may just seem like so much paperwork, but failure to properly register your business name or transfer to your new name can create major problems down the road. Intellectual property law can be quite complicated, so you may want to consult with a trademark law attorney near you to make sure you're in compliance and protected.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified business attorney to help you identify how to best protect your business' intellectual property.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Meet FindLaw's trusted provider of business formation solutions:

Let's start your free LLC!

Get worry-free services and support to launch your business starting at $0 plus state fees

Start My LLC
'You want to get it right. ZenBusiness can help.' Mark Cuban, Spokesperson

The #1 rated service by trusted experts

  • Forbes
  • Market Watch
  • Marc Cuban
  • Nerdwallet
  • Investopedia
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options