Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Federal Business Licenses

You made it. The business of your dreams has become a reality. In running your business, you have many things to think about on a daily basis: overhead costs, profits, employee satisfaction. However, one of the most important topics to be aware of is whether or not you will need a federal business license to legally to operating your company.

Follow along as FindLaw takes you through the different types of federal business licenses you should be familiar with. For more information, see FindLaw's Starting a Business section.

We make business formation EASY. Click here to start your free LLC.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

With the exception of Sole Proprietors, most business types must apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) regardless of whether they have employees. Visit the IRS site to find out if you need an EIN, and if so, whether you are eligible to apply through the IRS's online application.

Licenses and Permits

Most businesses do not require a federal license or permit. However, if you are engaged in one of the following activities, you should contact the responsible federal agency to determine the requirements for doing business:

Registering Intellectual Property

Federal registration of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, trade names and copyright, provide business owners with exclusive use of intellectual property in the U.S. as well as in a large number of foreign countries.

Alcohol Permits

If you are in the business of manufacturing, wholesaling, importing, or selling alcoholic beverage such as beer, wine or hard liquor, you will need a federal permit. This list includes distilleries, breweries, or wineries. The Alcohol, Tobacco, and Trade Bureau (TTB) has strict rules regarding when, where, and how alcohol can be handled, so be sure to know the laws and get the correct permits or you could face hefty fines or even risk having your business shut down altogether.

Radio, Television, and Broadcast

These days it isn't terribly difficult to broadcast a creative podcast or film a television series from the comfort of your own home.You can reach hundreds, if not thousands, of audience members with just a few components. If you engage in these activities, you may be required to obtain a permit from the FCC. Particularly if you are broadcasting a radio show, you will be required to pass an examination even if you are an amateur.

Firearms, Ammunition, and Explosives

Anytime your business is involved with manufacturing, dealing and importing firearms, ammunitions and explosives, you will have to meet strict requirements under the law. ATF also regulates these activities in an effort make sure the general public's welfare is put first. Be sure that your business follows all the licensing requirements or consult an attorney for assistance.

Next Steps

You've identified that you may need a business license, now what? Working with a reputable DIY business formation service or consulting a qualified business law attorney can make all the difference. 

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

I'd Like Help From a Lawyer

Contact a qualified business attorney to help you navigate the process of starting a business.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

I'd Like a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Meet FindLaw's trusted provider of business formation solutions:

Let's start your free LLC!

Get worry-free services and support to launch your business starting at $0 plus state fees

Start My LLC
'You want to get it right. ZenBusiness can help.' Mark Cuban, Spokesperson

The #1 rated service by trusted experts

  • Forbes
  • Market Watch
  • Marc Cuban
  • Nerdwallet
  • Investopedia
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options