Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Free Legal Aid in Tucson

Last updated: November 13, 2013

You desperately need some legal advice, but have no idea where to turn. Lawyers cost money. Money you really can’t spare. Between rent, bills, and the student loans you are still paying back from The UA, you’re pretty low on cash and your savings account, or lack thereof, reflects that.

Don’t worry. There are many free or low-cost legal service options for Pima County residents. One of the main providers is Southern Arizona Legal Aid, a nonprofit legal aid organization providing free legal aid to low-income residents and seniors. There may be income limits that apply for you to qualify for free/low-cost help. Contact the specific agency to learn more. Below is a list of several organizations available to help you should you need legal advice in the "Old Pueblo."

General Law

  • American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona

    P.O. Box 17148
    AZ 85011

    Tel: (602) 650-1854

    Areas of Law: Discrimination, Election and Voting, Freedom Speech, Freedom of Religion, Immigration Rights, LGBT Rights, Privacy, Police Practices, Jail and Prison Conditions, and other issues of fair treatment by government.

    Good to Know: The ACLU does not usually assist in the following types of cases: criminal defense or post-conviction appeals, divorce or child custody disputes, property disputes, tax problems, workers compensation issues, consumer complaints, landlord-tenant disputes, building code issues and complaints about lawyers or judges. Requests for legal assistance can be submitted online.

  • Community Legal Services – Statewide

    P.O. Box 21538
    AZ 85036

    Tel: (602) 258-3434

    Area of Law: Civil

    Good to Know: This agency provides statewide civil legal services to applicants whose income is near poverty level.

  • Quilt Program

    Pima County Bar Association
    177 N Church Ave. Suite #101

    AZ 85701

    Tel: (520) 623-4625

    Areas of Law: Civil Cases Including Divorce, Foreclosure, General Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Landlord/Tenant Matters and some criminal cases including Misdemeanors and DUI Cases.

    Good to Know: This is not a free legal service. It is a reduced fee legal referral program for people who make too much for free legal aid, but can’t afford an attorney. Call to learn more.

  • Southern Arizona Legal Aid

    2343 E. Broadway Blvd.

    AZ 85719

    Tel: (520) 623-9461

    Areas of Law: Community Development, Consumer, Education, Family, Elder, Employment, Fair Housing, Health, HIV/AIDS, Public Benefits, Mental Health issues, and Immigration.

    Good to Know: This agency provides a full range of civil legal services, including immigration, to low-income clients. Their service area covers over 54-thousand square miles in 9 counties and 11 Indian reservations. They offer advice/legal counsel, brief services, self-help clinics, community legal education, and referrals, as well as full representation in administrative hearings and county, state, and federal courts. Applicants must qualify for services under financial guidelines. These guidelines are based on household size, income and assets. Most families who receive government benefits or who have minimum wage jobs are eligible for services.

  • Volunteer Lawyers Program-Pima County

    2343 E Broadway Blvd
    Suite 200

    AZ 85719

    Tel: (520) 623-9461

    Areas of Law: Civil including family law, bankruptcy, employment law, wills, housing, and immigration.

    Good to Know: This agency offers free civil legal services to low-income, eligible clients in seventeen counties throughout Pima County. Eligibility is based on household income, size, assets and case type. They offer self-help clinics, court projects, and direct representation.

Disability Law

  • Arizona Center for Disability Law - Tucson

    100 N. Stone Avenue
    Suite 305

    AZ 85701

    Tel: (520) 327-9547

    Areas of Law: Disability, Abuse, Neglect, Benefits Assistance, and Employment, Access to Public Accommodations, Special Education, Negotiation, and Mediation.

    Good to Know: ACDL is a not-for-profit public interest law firm dedicated to protecting the rights of individuals with a wide range of physical, mental, psychiatric, sensory and cognitive disabilities.

Domestic Violence

  • Arizona Coalition Against Domestic Violence

    Legal Advocacy Hotline
    Tel: 800-799-SAFE (7223)

    Areas of Law: Domestic Violence

    Good to Know: This is Arizona’s only statewide legal advocacy hotline for victims and survivors of domestic violence. The AzCADV Legal Advocacy Hotline Staff Are NOT attorneys and cannot give legal advice, but can refer you to the appropriate agencies.

    Important: If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

  • Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights

    2601 N. Hwy 79
    P.O. Box 654

    AZ 85232

    Tel: (520) 868-0191

    Areas of Law: Immigration, Asylum

    Good to Know: This agency gives free legal services to immigrants, refugees, and U.S. citizens detained by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in Arizona for immigration processing. The Project serves men, women, and children, including those with mental health and social service needs.

  • VAWA Asylum Program of Arizona

    140 W. Speedway Blvd
    Suite 130

    AZ 85705

    Tel: (520) 623-4555

    Areas of Law: Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Human Trafficking

    Good to Know: This agency helps people in Cochise, Pima, Pinal, Santa Cruz, and Yuma Counties. They provide direct legal services to immigrants who have been the victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Call to learn more.


Law Schools

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options