Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Kansas Car Accident Report Basics

Car accidents are an unfortunate part of life, whether they are minor fender-benders or result in major injuries or vehicle damage. In the confusion immediately following an accident, it can be difficult to know what steps to take first. If you are in a car accident in Kansas, it's important to understand the laws regarding when you must report that accident to the police. Read on to learn more about filing a car accident report in Kansas.

When Do I Need to Report a Car Accident?

It can be confusing to understand when you are required to report a car accident to the police. Each state has its own laws governing car accident procedure, and Kansas is no exception. As detailed in the chart below, Kansas only requires motorists to report accidents to the police in certain circumstances.

In Kansas, failure to report a car accident when required by law is punishable by a suspension of your driver's license until the report has been filed. If, after a 30 day suspension, you still have not filed your report, then you can be charged with a misdemeanor punishable up to one month in jail.

The below chart provides more information about filing a car accident report in Kansas.


Kansas Uniform Act Regulating Traffic Sections 8-1604; 8-1605; and 8-1609

When to Report

  • A driver of a vehicle involved in an accident doesn't need to report a car accident if a police officer came to the scene of the accident
  • If a police officer did not come to the scene of the accident, a motorist must report a car accident if:
    • The accident caused property damage of $1,000 or more
    • Any person involved in the accident was killed
    • A driver or passenger of any of the vehicles are not present at the scene or are unable to obtaining the other driver's name and contact information

How to Report

  • Drivers must make a report to the nearest office of a "duly authorized police authority," including Kansas Highway Patrol, county sheriff's office, or local police department
  • Drivers must report accidents "immediately" by the quickest available means of communication
  • If a driver hits an unattended car and causes damage, the driver must report the incident to the nearest office of a duly authorized police authority "without unnecessary delay"
  • Once a driver has made an oral report of an accident, he/she doesn't have to file a written accident report unless the Kansas Division Specifically requires it

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Related Resources

Filing a Car Accident Claim? A Kansas Injury Lawyer Can Help

Car accidents can cause chaos in your life. If you're struggling with the aftermath of being injured in a car accident, you may want to speak with an experienced legal professional about your case. Get started today and contact a Kansas motor vehicle accident attorney near you for some peace of mind.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get tailored legal advice and ask a lawyer questions about your accident. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options