Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

New Jersey Marriage License Laws

If you want to get married in New Jersey, you'll have to get a marriage license first. Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a New Jersey marriage license.

You and your future spouse both have to appear at the clerk's office ("marriage license bureau"). These offices are usually located in the county probate court or circuit court. Next, you'll fill out an application (PDF), sign it, and pay a $28 license fee. You'll need to wait three (3) days before you can get your license.

If either person was previously married, he or she must show certified documents on how previous marriage ended such as divorce, annulment, or death.

Also, you don't have to have a physical examination or get a blood test to receive a marriage license in the Garden State .

The following table highlights the main provisions of New Jersey's marriage license laws. See Marriage Laws Overview, prenuptial agreements, Tips for Marriage, and Marriage FAQs for more information.

Code Section New Jersey Code Title 37: Marriages and Married Persons
Where to Obtain a License Local Registrar
Age Requirements

Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a marriage with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, or Family part.

Residency Requirement

None, but the marriage license application must be submitted in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides. The license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.

If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Identification Requirements
  • Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
  • Proof of your residency.
  • Your social security card or social security number.
  • A witness, 18 years of age or older.
Same Sex Marriage Yes, and also civil unions and domestic partnerships.
Blood Test Requirement


Fees $28
How Long is the License Valid? 30 days from the date of issuance.
Who Can Preside Over the Ceremony? Judges of a Federal District Court, United States magistrates, Judges of a Municipal Court, Judges of the Superior Court, Judges of a Tax Court, Retired judges of the Superior Court, Judge or the Superior or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing, any Mayor/Deputy Mayor or Chairman of any Township Committee, Village President of New Jersey, County Clerks, and every minister of every religion.
Prior Marriage? If you've been married before, you'll need to present to the court your divorce decree.
Waiting Period Yes, 72 hours.
Where to Request Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree Your local Registrar's Office
Witnesses A witness, 18 years of age or older.

Because marriage laws can sometimes get complicated, it may also be a good idea to consult an experienced family law attorney if you have questions about your specific situation.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options