Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Oklahoma Car Accident Report Basics

According to the Highway Safety Office, more than 70,000 car accidents occur in Oklahoma each year. Most are the result of speeding or distracted driving. Since statistics show that most people will be in a car accident at some time in their lives, it’s important to know what to do after a crash occurs. This includes understanding your basic responsibilities for car accident reporting in Oklahoma.

How To File a Car Crash Report in Oklahoma

The chart below summarizes Oklahoma law and the procedure for submitting a car crash report.

State Accident Statutes

Reporting a Crash to Police

  • Immediately call police when a person is injured or killed in a crash
  • Not required to call the police if only property damage occurs

Filing an Accident Report

You must file a report with the Department of Safety when:

  • Anybody suffers injury or death
  • There is more than $300 in property damage 
  • The parties have not settled the case within six months of the accident

Crash Reporting

Note: State laws are subject to change through new legislation, higher court rulings, ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information, seek legal advice or conduct legal research to verify Oklahoma law.

When To Notify the Police of an Oklahoma Car Accident

Oklahoma law requires drivers to immediately notify their local police department, the county sheriff’s office, or the State Highway Patrol of any car accident resulting in death or injury. The most efficient way of notifying the proper authorities is to call 911. The dispatcher will notify law enforcement and send a police officer to the accident scene. 

The investigating officer will review the scene and prepare their police report. This report satisfies the crash reporting requirements. It will also help your Oklahoma car accident lawyer resolve your insurance claim or personal injury claim.

Different rules apply when an accident only causes property damage. Drivers must remain at the scene, exchange information, and provide reasonable aid. However, they do not have to notify the police. The same applies if a motorist hits an unattended vehicle or property, such as a fence or parked car.

When Is a Driver Responsible for Filing a Crash Report?

Oklahoma law requires all drivers to maintain an auto insurance policy. Unfortunately, not everyone follows the law. If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver and have not received fair compensation for your injuries, you must file a report with the Department of Public Safety (DPS).

The report requires you to provide personal information about the other driver, such as their date of birth and contact information. Be sure to take good notes at the accident scene. If the other driver refuses to share this information, call the police immediately. Law enforcement will respond to non-injury accidents when the parties are not cooperating.

Even if the other driver offers this information, you should call 911. You have no way to know if the information is valid. The other driver could give you a fake phone number or driver’s license number. They may be driving a stolen car with a stolen license plate. The police will confirm that the information the drivers provide is valid, current, and accurate.

Local Car Crash Reporting Rules

Municipalities can maintain crash reporting rules that are more stringent than state law. For example, the city of Tulsa maintains a system for drivers to self-report their accidents. The online program provides an incident report number so your insurance adjuster can process your claim.

You can report a noninjury accident in Oklahoma City by calling the police nonemergency number. If an officer is available, they will come to the accident scene and prepare a police report. You can reach the Oklahoma City Police Department at 405-297-1000.

Drafting Your Accident Report

While Oklahoma law doesn’t compel drivers to report noninjury accidents, it’s still a good idea. The responding officer’s police report provides an impartial record of the accident scene. The local police department’s records management office will maintain a copy of this report. 

Even if the police respond to the scene, you should still draft your accident report. Your insurance company will want to know what happened before it pays your car accident claim or makes a settlement offer. 

Record the following information for your accident report:

  • Name and insurance information for the drivers
  • Date of the collision
  • Witnesses’ names, contact information, and their accounts of the crash
  • Details about motor vehicle damage and injuries
  • Whether any of the drivers/passengers needed medical attention
  • Diagram of the accident scene
  • Description of weather and road conditions
  • Photos of damage and video statements

The more details you provide, the better your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries and property damage.

Get Legal Help To Better Understand Oklahoma Car Accident Reporting Requirements

Even a minor traffic collision can turn into a nightmare. For instance, the other driver may change their story after the accident, or the insurance company may deny your claim. Having an experienced car accident attorney on your side can help protect your rights throughout the settlement process. 

Visit’s attorney directory to find a car accident attorney near you.

Additional Oklahoma Car Accident Resources

Oklahoma Car Accident Compensation Laws - FindLaw

Oklahoma Car Accident Settlement Process and Timeline - FindLaw

Oklahoma Civil Statute of Limitations Laws - FindLaw

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get tailored legal advice and ask a lawyer questions about your accident. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options