Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Oklahoma Legal Ages Laws

Virtually all states set the age of majority at 18, which means people 18 and older are legally considered adults and are subject to all associated rights and responsibilities. But state laws also determine limits and rules for certain legal processes involving minors. For example, from time to time, states have guidelines for minors wishing to be emancipated from their parents. States also specify the ages when a minor can consent to certain kinds of medical care under a variety of circumstances.

Legal Ages Under Oklahoma Law

Under Oklahoma statutes, contracts by minors are voidable as long as they are cancelled within one year of the individual reaching the age of majority. In Oklahoma, the age of majority is 18. While minors are not able to sue in an Oklahoma court on their own, they may do so through a guardian, next friend, or representative.

Getting Emancipated as a Minor in Oklahoma

Emancipation is the process whereby a minor is released from the care of their parents or guardian. Emancipation brings with it the rights and responsibilities of adulthood. To get emancipated in Oklahoma, you will need to file a petition in your local district court through a next friend. Linked below, the statute related to emancipation features other requirements, as well. Consider reviewing the statute for more information.

Additional provisions of Oklahoma laws setting legal ages for minors are listed in the following table.

Age of Majority Under 15§13, the age of majority is 18.
Eligibility for Emancipation
  • Under relevant state law, a minor may initiate emancipation proceedings through a court order.
  • Under the common law of the state, minors may also do so through marriage.
Contracts by Minors
  • Under § 3606, a minor who is 15 years of age or older may enter into contracts for insurance.
  • Under § 15-19, a minor may disaffirm their own contract one year after they have reached the age of majority.
  • Under the same statute, a contract that was made by a minor may be disaffirmed by their estate one year after their death.
Minors' Ability to Sue Under 12§2017(c), a minor may file a lawsuit with the assistance of a guardian, next friend, or representative.
Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment
  • Under§ 5-503, a minor that is 16 years of age or older may consent to in-patient treatments for mental health issues and substance abuse problems.
  • Under 63 §2602, a minor may consent to forensic exams without the consent of a parent or guardian following a sexual assault.
  • Under the same statute, a minor can consent to pregnancy-related medical treatments and for their own children without the consent of a parent or guardian.
  • Under other relevant states laws, a minor may also consent to medical treatments without the consent of a parent or guardian if they are married, are emancipated, or in cases of emergency.

Note: State laws are constantly changing. Contact an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Research the Law:

Consider reviewing the following resources for more information about laws related to age:

  • At Official State Codes, you'll find links to the official online statutes (laws) in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Related Resources for Legal Ages Laws:

Consider reviewing the following resources, as well, for more information about laws and legal issues related to age:

Have Questions About Oklahoma Legal Age Laws? Talk to an Attorney

Whether you're considering becoming emancipated from your parents or want to know whether you can enter into legal contracts as a minor, your age may be an important factor. Attorneys understand these issues and are in a position to help you make the right decisions. Consider contacting an experienced family law attorney in Oklahoma today.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options