Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Free Legal Aid in Greenville

Last updated: September 26, 2013

The legal world can be a confusing place, so enlisting the aid of a trained professional is usually in your best interest.  Unfortunately, many people cannot afford legal representation.  If you are one of them, Legal Aid is a fantastic way to even the odds in your favor.  Legal Aid groups around Greenville specialize in representing low-income individuals and people in particularly vulnerable positions, such as recent immigrants, children or battered women.  The keys to selecting a quality Legal Aid lawyer are to contact a group that specializes in your particular legal issue and to feel comfortable speaking earnestly with the person who will be representing your interests.  To make your search easier, we have compiled a list of reliable Legal Aid groups in and around Greenville.

South Carolina Legal Services

  • South Carolina Legal Services, Greenville Office

    701 S. Main St.
    SC 29601

    Tel: (800) 763-4825
  • South Carolina Legal Services, Spartanburg Office

    148 E. Main St.
    SC 29306

    Tel: (800) 922-8176

    Good to know: South Carolina Legal Services provides free legal services in a wide variety of civil legal matters to low income residents of South Carolina.  This group is large and widespread, with office locations  throughout South Carolina.  They can assist you with all typical legal matters, including bankruptcy, education, employment, family, health, housing, elder Law and probate.  Check to see whether you meet their income guidelines, then try calling their toll-free centralized intake line at (888) 346-5592 to see if they can help you.  They have specialized programs to help migrant workers and individuals with limited English proficiency.  

  • South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center

    P. O. Box 7187
    SC 29202

    Tel: (803) 779-1113

    Good to know: The South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center provides free representation for low income South Carolinians on issues such as housing, education, hunger, public benefits, domestic violence, immigration, health care and consumer issues.  They recommend calling South Carolina Legal Services if you are seeking direct representation.

For Immigrants

  • South Carolina Immigrant Victim Network (YWCA of Greenville)

    700 Augusta St.
    SC 29605

    Tel: (803) 750-1200 ext. 188 (ext. 199 for Spanish)

    Good to know: The South Carolina Immigrant Victim serves as a network of partners - including immigrant communities, victim service providers, healthcare and legal professionals and law enforcement agencies - that work together to serve immigrant victims of crime by finding culturally and linguistically appropriate resources.

  • Catholic Charities

    204 Douthit St.
    SC 29601

    Tel: (855) 377-1357

    Good to know: Catholic Charities provides social services to individuals of any religious background.  On the legal front, their immigration legal services  program specializes in helping immigrants and their families on a wide variety of immigration issues.  They also run a senior care  program that may be able to assist you with elder law issues. 

For Women

  • Safe Harbor

    429 North Main St.
    SC 29601

    Tel: (800) 291-2139

    Good to know: Safe Harbor is dedicated to helping victims of domestic abuse in upstate South Carolina.  They provide safe emergency shelter, counseling, legal advocacy and transitional housing in Greenville, Pickens, Anderson and Oconee counties.

  • SAFE Homes Rape Crisis Coalition

    236 Union St.
    SC 29302

    Tel: (864) 583-9803

    Good to know: SAFE Homes aims to stop domestic and sexual violence.  They offer temporary emergency shelter to victims of domestic violence and their children and advocate on behalf of victims to alleviate their suffering.

  • Julie Valentine Center

    2905 White Horse Rd.
    SC 29611

    Tel: (864) 331-0560

    Good to know: The Julie Valentine Center works to stop sexual violence and child abuse.  They offer confidential services for victims of rape, domestic abuse and child abuse.  They can help Spanish speaking individuals.

  • Rape Crisis Council of Pickens County

    900 E. Main St., Suite D
    SC 29640

    Tel: (864) 442-5500

    Good to know: The Rape Crisis Council offers direct services for sexual assault victims in Pickens County.  They provide counseling references, recovery books, victim advocacy and self-defense classes.

Criminal Law

  • South Carolina Commission on Indigent Defense

    1330 Lady Street, Suite 401
    SC 29201

    Tel: (864) 467-8522 (Greenville)
    Tel: (864) 898-5577 (Pickens)
    Tel: (864) 260-4048 (Anderson)

    Good to know: Public Defender services are provided by offices located in each county to people charged with a crime who cannot afford to hire a private lawyer. These organizations are independent of the State but receive funding from the State via the Office of Indigent Defense. Try this link for contact information of the public defender from your county.

Useful Websites

  • South Carolina Judicial Department Self Help

    1231 Gervais Street
    SC 29201

    Good to know: The South Carolina Judicial system operates a self-help website that can provide you with useful information without needing a lawyer.  You can also find the correct form to use with their form finder.


    Good to know: LawHelp is a website run by South Carolina Legal Services that can provide you with information organized by practice area.  This website is particularly useful because the information is specific to South Carolina law.  You can find articles on consumer law, family law, education, domestic abuse, elder law and estate planning.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options