Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

South Carolina Car Accident Report Basics

There’s never a good time to be in a car accident. Fortunately, if the drivers are all from South Carolina, your damages should be covered since the state requires everyone to carry liability insurance. Before making a claim, you’ll need to get up to speed on South Carolina car accident reporting basics. The following overview will help you get back on the road.

How to File a Car Crash Report in South Carolina

This chart provides a summary of South Carolina laws and procedures for filing a car crash report.

State Accident Statutes
Reporting an Accident
  • You must call the police when an accident results in:
  • Bodily injury to any person
  • Someone is killed
Filing a Crash Report
  • You must forward a written report with the DMV showing Proof of liability insurance when:
  • A person is injured or killed
  • More than $1,000 in property damage
Crash Report Forms

Note: Laws are subject to change. It’s important to verify the information you read about by conducting your own research or consulting with a South Carolina attorney.

Reporting a Car Accident to the Police

South Carolina does not ask you to report every accident. In fact, you are only required to immediately notify police after a vehicle accident resulting in injury or death. Remember, the quickest way to reach the proper authorities is to call 911.

Even though you don’t have to report a fender bender, it’s a good idea to call the police after any accident. When the police arrive, you can ask them to file an accident report. This impartial record may be useful later on if one of the parties tries to change their story. Plus, your insurance company may require you to report all accidents to the police before you can make a claim.

When is a Driver Responsible for Filing a Crash Report?

According to South Carolina Law, the driver or owner of a vehicle involved in an accident not investigated by law enforcement -- resulting in total property damage of $1,000 or more, bodily injury, or death -- must self-report the accident to the DMV. This is accomplished by completing form FR-309 within 15 days of the accident and sending it to:

South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles

Attn. Financial Responsibility

P.O. Box 1498

Blythewood, SC 29016-0040

The purpose of this report is to verify that all vehicles were properly insured at the time of the crash.

Drafting a Personal Accident Report

When the police respond to the scene of your accident, it may be tempting to let them draft the accident report. However, it’s a good idea for you to create your own accident report. It’s not unusual for the at-fault party to accept responsibility right after the accident, only to change their story later. A personal accident report will also be useful to your car insurance company. Record the following information when drafting your accident report:

  • Description of the crash, including how many people were in both cars
  • Name and insurance information of everyone involved
  • Names of witnesses and their detailed accounts of the crash
  • Details about damages and injurie
  • Diagram of the accident scene
  • Photos of damage and video statements

Talk to an Injury Attorney About Your South Carolina Car Accident

Getting your life back on track after an accident can be a lengthy process. The road to recovery is even more difficult if you have suffered serious physical injury or property damage. An experienced South Carolina injury law attorney can help you through the claim process and help you in court if necessary.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get on-demand legal help during traffic stops and car accidents. TurnSignl is an app that connects you to an attorney in real-time.


Need legal advice after an accident? Most attorneys offer a free first call.

 Find an attorney right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options