Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

How To Get a Judgment Removed From Your Credit Report

Your consumer credit score significantly influences your financial prospects. It can affect your ability to get a loan, housing, or secure employment. Unpaid debts on your credit card or loans can lead to judgments that negatively impact your credit score. Understanding how to remove judgments from your credit report is critical to mitigating bad credit. Understanding how credit reporting agencies record judgments can improve your creditworthiness and personal finances.

What Is a Judgment?

A judgment is a legal decision issued by a court that outlines the resolution of a legal dispute. In credit reports, a civil judgment refers to a court order declaring that a person owes a specific sum of money to a creditor. Court judgments can have a significant impact on one's creditworthiness. They often lead to lowered credit scores and limited financial opportunities.

Understanding the different types of judgments is crucial. A satisfied judgment indicates that you have paid the debt. Unsatisfied judgments, often leading to wage garnishment, can hurt your credit score. You can seek a vacated judgment to fix inaccuracies or resolve disputes. Managing judgments is vital. They can attract debt collectors and effect financial opportunities. Exploring ways to address and remove judgments from credit reports is essential for those navigating credit challenges.

Checking Your Credit Report for Judgments

In the United States, three major credit bureaus compile credit information. They are EquifaxExperian, and TransUnion. Each generates a version of your credit report. Discrepancies or inaccuracies may arise, leading to inconsistent credit information across agencies. To understand your credit history, you should know the specifics of each agency's credit file. For instance, one agency may accurately report information while another may misreport it.

You should watch your credit reports, as negative information or inaccuracies can affect your credit file. If you encounter any incorrect judgments, it's important to dispute them immediately. Periodically getting a free credit report from each bureau allows you to maintain the accuracy of your credit history. You can request a free copy of your credit report at

Basis for Getting a Judgment Removed

You may dispute a judgment on your credit report based on the following arguments:

  1. You paid the debt: Credit agencies will remove the judgment from your credit report if you can show that you did pay your debt on time. If you paid your debt after the judgment was established on your credit report, the agency won't remove the judgment. But it will mark your debt as paid, which is helpful.
  2. The debt belongs to someone else: Sometimes, the credit agency will claim that you have a debt when it is someone else's. This usually happens when someone has the same name as you, leading to confusion. You'll have to file some paperwork to prove you're not the one who owes the debt. This may include your Social Security number, birth certificate information, bills, etc.
  3. The period has expired: Most judgments remain on credit reports for seven years and six months. If this period has passed, you should contact the credit agencies and make sure they remove the judgment. The seven-year and six-month period is not absolute. People have been able to get a judgment removed sooner. This usually happens when the judgment has been on their credit report for a significant time. Because credit agencies sometimes grant such removal requests, it's worth your effort.

Disputing Judgments on Your Credit Report

Engaging with the three main credit bureaus is essential when dealing with a civil judgment on your credit report. Whether through certified mail or phone, dispute the judgment promptly. By law, credit agencies must investigate disputes within 30 days.

Disputing with the court directly may not remove a judgment from your credit report. But it can be valuable if credit agencies prove challenging. If you suspect a mistake, addressing it with the court first allows you to clarify information. Using a dispute letter or court order can strengthen your position. Doing so provides documentation to challenge errors with the judgment creditor or credit agencies.

If you realize that the court made a judgment against you fairly, but you pay it off, then the creditor must file an Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment. You can also file a declaration of that satisfaction of judgment to the court. The court will then report that you satisfied your judgment. Remember that a satisfaction of judgment won't remove the judgment from your credit report. The credit report will show you paid the debt. You must mail certified copies of the acknowledgment to the credit agencies to update the report.

Legal Help

You should consult a qualified credit repair attorney to learn more about your legal options. A credit repair attorney can advocate on your behalf. They can negotiate with creditors, lenders, and collection agencies to resolve outstanding issues. Another great legal resource is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The CFPB serves as a valuable resource for consumers. It offers information on credit reporting practices, addressing disputes, and guidance on your rights.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified consumer attorney to assist with any credit, banking, or finance issues you face.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Guide to Consumer Financial Protections: Credit, Banking, and Debt Relief

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options