Price Gouging, Cancellations, and Other Consumer Issues During the Pandemic
Businesses shouldn’t be allowed to exploit a national emergency by increasing prices beyond a reasonable amount. Many states have price gouging laws in effect that prevent this. But price gouging isn’t the only issue consumers are facing. What happens when flights, concerts, and other events are canceled due to a pandemic? Will 30-day-return policies relax? We provide answers to these questions and more below.
Price Gouging and Shopping Issues
What are your state’s price gouging laws? What can and can't stores legally do during the pandemic? What are the dangers of online shopping?
- Price Gouging Laws by State
- Problems With Online Shopping
- Do 30-Day Return Policies Change Under Shelter in Place?
- Is It Legal for Businesses to Refuse to Take Cash?
- Can a Store Take Your Temperature?
- No Shirt, No Mask, No Service?
- Can a Business Kick You Out for Your Mask Design?
How do you get your money back if your flight was canceled due to the pandemic? What are your options if you decided to cancel your trip because of the pandemic?
- Can I Sue If My Flight Was Cancelled?
- What Are Your Rights if You Cancel a Flight Due to Coronavirus?
The coronavirus outbreak has led to thousands of events being canceled. What should you expect if you paid for a ticket for a concert or event that is now canceled?
Some people will try to take advantage of others during difficult times. What scams should you watch out for?
Other Consumer Issues
- Should I Be Worried About My Privacy in Zoom Meetings?
- COVID-19 Surcharges: Are They Legal?
- Can Schools Rescind Admission for Students Who Defer Because of COVID-19?
- Can I Sue for Getting COVID-19 at a Business?
We will add new content to this page throughout the pandemic. For other consumer rights issues and questions, please visit FindLaw.com’s consumer protection section. If you believe your rights have been violated, consider speaking with a consumer protection lawyer in your state. Many attorneys offer phone and video consultations.
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.