More than 39 percent of Idaho's traffic fatalities involved motorists driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or other drugs, according to the Idaho Transportation Department. That is why DUI is charged as a serious crime in the state, with the possibility of a prison term after just the first offense (in addition to heavy fines, license suspension, and other sanctions). But if you are convicted of a DUI with a blood alcohol concentration of .20 percent or higher, a first offense will result in a mandatory minimum 10-day sentence, up to a maximum of one year. The penalties are even more severe for a second or successive offense within 10 years, with mandatory jail sentences and $5,000 fines.
It's always best to avoid such criminal offenses in the first place, obviously. But if you are facing DUI charges in Idaho, the following information will help you get back on your feet.
Note: State laws are always changing through legislative, judicial, or other means. While FindLaw works hard to ensure the accuracy of its legal resources, it's a good idea to thoroughly research the law or check with an attorney to make sure you have the most recent information.
Idaho DUI Resources
- Idaho DUI Statute: Persons Under the Influence of Alcohol, Drugs or Any Other Intoxicating Substance (Idaho Stat. 18-8004).
- What You Should Know About Idaho's DUI Laws [PDF] - Pamphlet pointing out the key features an penalties of Idaho DUI law (Idaho State Police).
- DUI Courts - Overview of Idaho's DUI Court system, including its goals, target populations and methodology (Idaho Office of Justice Programs).
- Ignition Interlock Providers - List of companies that install ignition interlock devices in the state of Idaho (Idaho Transportation Dept.)
- Reinstating Your Driving Privileges - Portal for reinstating your driving privileges in Idaho after a period of suspension (Idaho Transportation Dept.)
- DUI Evaluation Provider Listing - Listing of providers of DUI evaluations (substance treatment and counseling) in Idaho (Idaho Dept. of Health and Welfare)
- Using a DUI Lawyer - Articles to help you make a more informed decision when hiring a DUI attorney (FindLaw).
Get Legal Help with Your DUI Case in Idaho
If you've been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances, a conviction will result in the loss of driving privileges and maybe even jail time. And in Idaho, a DUI with a BAC of more than .20 percent will get you enhanced penalties. It's a good idea to contact a local DUI attorney who can scrutinize the prosecution's evidence and claims, and advocate on your behalf.