Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

How to Report Child Abuse

Child abuse can take many different forms -- physical, emotional, and sexual -- but it always causes harm to the child. Each state has slightly different child abuse laws and procedures for prosecuting charges like assault and battery or child endangerment. To fight child abuse, it's important to look out for the telltale signs of abuse, including unexplained bruises or injuries, withdrawal from peers, and fear of going home.

Once you suspect a child is being harmed, you'll want to know how to report child abuse and get them the help they deserve.

Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse

Teachers, physicians, counselors, clergy, and other adults who have regular access to children are considered "mandatory reporters" of child abuse in most states. In many states, anyone suspecting abuse is considered a mandatory reporter. This means that anyone who has reason to believe a child is being abused is at risk of criminal punishment for not reporting.

Failure to report by a mandatory reporter or the filing of false reports by anyone can be a crime punishable by a fine and/or jail sentence. Anyone who believes a child is being abused should report it to authorities. In many states, there is a legal obligation to do so.

How to Report Child Abuse: State Procedures

In most states, the process begins with an anonymous phone call from the child or a relative, parent, witness, or mandatory reporter. The authorities who take the call will ask questions about what happened or what was observed. The authorities will ask additional questions to determine the credibility of the allegations. If a formal report is taken, a Child Protective Services worker will begin an investigation. The investigation may involve speaking with the child, their family, and other adults in the child's life.

The following is a sampling of state child abuse reporting procedures:

  • California – California Child Protective Services will determine whether an in-person response is necessary after the initial report. To report child abuse or neglect, call your county's emergency response hotline.
  • Illinois – Investigations into child abuse must be opened within 24 hours of the report or sooner if the child is at risk of imminent harm. Roughly 1 in 4 hotline calls result in a formal report and investigation.
  • Texas – Anyone who suspects child abuse is required to report it to the state's Department of Family and Protective Services. A reporter can choose whether to make the report confidentially or anonymously. The time frame for investigations varies by the severity of the allegations.

To contact the agency responsible for receiving and investigating child abuse & neglect reports in your state, visit the list of phone numbers and web addresses of state agencies maintained by the Child Welfare Information Gateway.

Reporting Child Abuse: Federal Assistance

As with most crimes against individuals, child abuse is prosecuted by state and local law enforcement agencies in state courts. However, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) provides support through its Child Welfare Information Gateway, which promotes the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline.

The hotline provides anonymous crisis assistance, counseling, and referral services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-422-4453.

Learn More About How to Report Child Abuse: Talk to a Lawyer

If you've witnessed an act of child abuse, or are yourself a victim of abuse, the experience can leave you feeling powerless. But you're not alone and have legal options to help pick up the pieces. Consider speaking with an experienced family law attorney today.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified family law attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options